PDA

View Full Version : Gas grill harmonics

Bruce Page
06-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Our 7 year old Weber propane gas grill has recently developed a medium-high pitch vibration emanating from the gas bottle when the valve is open. Anyone have an idea what’s going on with it? :confused:

Don Abele
06-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Bruce, does it only happen while the grill is running? If so, it's probably just the gas going through the restrictor orifice in the tank. They can whistle/hum with high demands. The regulator can make the same type of noise, only a little deeper tone.

Be well,

Doc

Bruce Page
06-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Don, it only hums when the bottle and control valves are opened. The vibes seem to be coming from the tank regulator.
Time to replace it?

Don Abele
06-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Bruce, the regulator has a diaphragm in it that is used to reduce the pressure. As it ages, it becomes less pliable and more stiff causing noise, over/under pressure, or complete failure. At 7 years old, it sounds like it may be in need of replacement.

Be well,

Doc

Craig Summers
06-09-2008, 10:58 PM
I somestimes have that problem, bought my Sears grill in late 2004 shortly after getting married.

My quick solution that tends to work, is turn off the grill, then turn off the bottle, then turn on the grill to drain the line. Next turn off the grill. Then turn the bottle back on. Voila, humm goes away.

IMHO, my theory is a pressure difference that is trying to trigger a safety stop inside. by a quick purge, the safety is reset

Bruce Page
06-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Craig, I'll give that a try tomorrow and let you know if it works.
Thanks

Don Abele
06-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Craig, same type of problem Bruce may be having. The diaphragm is sticking. When you take it off the bottle and open the valve you release the pressure inside the regulator and allow the diaphragm to reseat correctly. If it does this repeatedly, you should replace it. There is a chance it could fail and allow propane to flow into your grill at a much higher pressure than it should - that'll get your burgers cooked quick :eek:

Be well,

Doc

Greg Cole
06-10-2008, 9:39 AM
Last time mine made that hum, a quick tap with a spatula seemed just the trick.
Seriously, the first time I turned it on this year it did that same "harmonic" hum from the diaphragm..... one little smack and it's been nice n quiet ever since.
The hose & regulator assembly is all of about $25.00 I think.

Greg