PDA

View Full Version : 60 1/2 Block Plane Question

Tom Wiarda
06-09-2008, 10:11 PM
I bought a 60 1/2 low angle block plane from a flea market and am having a problem with the blade adjustment. The threaded adjustment knob screws through the sliding piece that engages with the underside of the blade and then through the fixed piece on the bed of the plane. The problem is that when the adjustment screw turns the sliding piece does not move. The threaded screw goes through it but it does not move relative to the fixed piece. Do I have the wrong adjustment knob? It seems like it should have two sets of threads: one set to go into the fixed piece and a different thread to advance the sliding plate. The rest of the plane is in good condition but I can't use it if the blade will not adjust. I know the experts here will be able to quickly diagnose my problem. Thanks for your help. Tom

Clint Jones
06-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Yes there should be two sets of threads one set to go in the casting of the plane and the other set engages the little sliding plate. If yours doesnt something is wrong.

Russ Hauser
06-10-2008, 7:00 AM
The rest of the plane is in good condition but I can't use it if the blade will not adjust. I know the experts here will be able to quickly diagnose my problem. Thanks for your help. Tom

My 60 1/2 has only one thread on the adjustment screw. I believe your screw has been replaced with the wrong one. I believe this is the correct part for your plane. http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/adscslheasfo.html

Pics of my plane are below.

Russ

Simon Sharp
06-10-2008, 1:38 PM
Saturday went to an auction, and picked up 5 block planes. 2 of them are 60-1/2's, and mine have have both fine thread (where it goes into hole, and coarse thread (that's threaded into blade slider). They are both the same hand threads, and when turned they move the blade very slowly. Almost imperceptable unless you touch the blade at the mouth to feel it move.

Robert Rozaieski
06-10-2008, 3:24 PM
Your casting threads are likely stripped. This happened to my 65, which basically has the same setup as your 60½. The knob will thread through the adjuster but won't move in the casting as the casting threads are stripped. This is very common as the casting is soft cast iron so the threads will not handle much abuse. Not much you can do if this is the case but adjust the plane like a woodie (i.e. with light taps from a hammer) and forget the adjustment knob.

Bill Houghton
06-10-2008, 9:29 PM
Russ Hauser's plane is a new type Stanley block plane, which indeed has just one thread. The older planes, as others have mentioned, use two threads, one a slightly smaller diameter, of different pitches, to adjust the iron - a rather gizmotic solution, but it worked for years.

Tom Wiarda
06-10-2008, 9:53 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. Yes, it looks like I got the wrong adjustment knob with my plane because there is only one type of threading. The good news is that the threads in my casting are not stripped. The adjustment screw (the wrong one) screws into the casting on the bed of the plane. The bad news is that the replacement parts from Stanley are for the newer model plane and will not work. Does anyone know where I can get the proper adjustment knob? Do these parts ever become available? Let me know if you have any ideas or other suggestions. Thanks, Tom

Russ Hauser
06-11-2008, 4:28 AM
Tom, I see planes being parted out on eBay quite often. Keep an eye on eBay and you might get lucky.

Russ

Stu Gillard
06-11-2008, 5:26 AM
Stuart Minuskin has a couple here...not that cheap though :eek:

http://www.toolexchange.com.au/stanley%20parts%203.htm