PDA

View Full Version : Lamp for a lathe . . . .

Steven DeMars
06-09-2008, 8:47 PM
I'm sure some of you are aware of this, but in case not . . . .

I recently was lucky enough to get a dentist ceiling mount lamp from one of my neighbors. The part that got my attention was the bulb / lamp itself . . .

A square automotive 12 volt sealed beam is what is used. High & low beam . . . So to the junk yard I go for an adaptable holder and all I need is a 12 volt power supply . . . .

Thinking about having a mobile stand / light . . . .

Steve

Richard Madison
06-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Now there is some useful information. Thanks Steven! Never thought of using an automotive headlight. The new halogen headlight bulbs (a bit pricey for new ones) might work also.

Please keep us posted on what you find for a 12 volt power supply. Maybe a battery and a trickle charger would work, but probably not the best answer.

Dick Strauss
06-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Don't auto bulbs generate a lot of heat?

paul wiser
06-10-2008, 10:38 PM
i used a lamp made for a drafting table. too get more light than what was recommended for incandescent, i used a cfl. with flex arm it worked like a charm. did put some hardware cloth over bell to protect bulb

Ron Mitchell
06-12-2008, 12:35 PM
What about using a power supply from a computer, it has a 12 volt and a 5 volt feed on each molex connector.

John Abt
06-13-2008, 5:05 PM
You might be able to find a battery charger either at an automotive parts store or a consignment like Goodwill.