PDA

View Full Version : Dust-Bee-Gone vs Trend

David Wilhelm
06-09-2008, 6:25 PM
I know that there are several post on Respirators and it seems that again the more you spend the more you get. My question is, at what dollar amount does lung protection start or stop. I have seen prices from as little as 13.00 on up to as much as 800.00. I've read reviews on some of these "air-flow" units and admit that the air would feel nice and create a preasure area to prevent some outside dust introduction. Having a beard I'm drawn to this dust-bee-gone mask used by some of you here and see that it's rated: Effective down to 3 microns. Not NIOSH or OSHA approved. It does not apear that Trend is an apprved respirator but I coudl be wrong on this. The stats on one page read : Filters ALL particulates! I find this hard to believe, I'm no expert but my thinking is this. ALL is a very big three letter word. and If it was a fact it would seem that there would be a NIOSH or OSHA approval on the same page with the rest of this advertisment. I'm in no way knocking this product. But I'm not interested in buying bells and whistles or a cool breeze for my face. I'm interested in what i'm inhaling and what my money is buying. I also understand about comfort. if you dont like it you wont wear it. I've been wearing fiber mask and i don't trust them. If I'm to be sold on buying a Trend. How long do the fliters last? Thanks for you input.

CW McClellan
06-09-2008, 7:03 PM
I bought a DB Gone at our fravorite wood store :D--used it 2 times --dust came thru :o--had put it on properly --called Fla. to the org. people sell this product:cool: -- they said they had calls from mostly sheet rock installers about the problem :rolleyes:--they told me to take spray butter or little vaseline and work it in filter :eek:-- if that didn't suite wash it and carry it back to wood store for money back --can you belive this c%$#:mad: --I still have it in back of work box --$35 shot -just tie a rag around ya self and play cowboy if ya want to throw your mone away --My 2cents worth told here --NOW HAVE Air Shield A1!!! -- also off of ebay new a $15 full coverage 2 filter mask neoprene green in color A1!! Triton I here is a good one also

Toney Robertson
06-09-2008, 8:05 PM
David,

Great questions. I will be very interested in reading the replies.

I would really like it if I could find a site or source that tests all these dust protection devices. I am like you, I just want to protect my lungs. Three microns does not address the particles that do the most damage, .5 and under.

Not to change the direction of this thread but that is my question about using dust collectors. If they can not collect and protect you from very fine (<.5 micron) dust then you still need a personal dust protection device (PDPD). If you still need a PDPD to protect your lungs then the dust collector is just a convenience.

After the particles counters that were bought in the group buy I never did see much return data.

Toney

Bruce Pennell
06-10-2008, 12:15 AM
David since I bought and use my Trend Pro I have no more coughing, brown snot, choking, ect.... It is comfortable to wear, that's the key. I have a short beard. The only complaint I have is the adjustment knob tends to pop loose if I adjust the helmet (only happens once in a while). I also wear glasses, which do not fog up with the helmet. Battery life is good, I didn't buy an extra battery, but I only work a few hours at a time. If you are working 8-10 hour days, spring for an extra battery or make one. I've seen a few articles on that. It is one of the most used tools I have. Hope this helps...Bruce