PDA

View Full Version : Gloat - Time to learn a new tool

Shawn Honeychurch
06-09-2008, 3:33 PM
Well I spent most of Saturday cutting down IVY and edging a long driveway, and for what you ask?

Well for this (not a pic of mine, my camera died), but identical, will post my pics when able):

Not sure of the age or many of the details, but it seems to work very well, runs smooth, and speed selectable from 600 to 2400 rpm. I also got 8 chisels alone with it.

I have no idea how to turn, but have already started teaching myself. And my brother in law knows how so he will soon be my teacher, at least if I think I need one.

I already made a descent spindle last night, very easy to do, though I suspect that bowls will be a lot more work.

I am looking forward to learning this new toy (I mean tool).

Shawn

Peter Quinn
06-09-2008, 3:44 PM
You traded landscaping services for a lathe? I need better neighbors. Congrats. I too know nothing about turning. Its beautiful but lathes scare me!:eek::eek:

Shawn Honeychurch
06-09-2008, 4:28 PM
You traded landscaping services for a lathe? I need better neighbors. Congrats. I too know nothing about turning. Its beautiful but lathes scare me!:eek::eek:

The lady I traded with's husband passed away awhile ago and she was ready to get rid of the lathe.

I have never yet met a tool that scared me, I respect them all, but fear none. :cool:

Bruce Pennell
06-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Shawn welcome to the vortex. Looks like you got a great deal and helped someone out also. Can't wait to see some of your work. Now save for chucks, sharpening system, more tools, more tools, ect...If you are interested in bowls Bill Grumbines video was the best I found. I was self taught with videos until I got lucky the other day and got a private lesson with Wally Dickerman. I really saw a huge difference after one 5 hour lesson. Did hollow forms with Wally, great teacher. Waiting on some Don Pencil tools right now, will probably upgrade to Randys Monster Hollowing System after I learn to do it by hand. You will have a lot of fun ahead of you. Turning a log or piece of firewood into a bowl, vase, box...its all fun. I've made a lot of tops for the grandkids, yo-yo's, lidded boxes, bowls and now hollow forms. Next will have to try some seg. work...Good Luck, take advantage of your teacher, rent videos, books, practice a lot. Welcome..Bruce

Mike Peace
06-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Welcome to the vortex.

I urge you to find a turning club. Perhaps your brother-in-law is in one. Maybe it is just my learning style but how to poke a sharp piece of steel into a fast turning piece of wood is not real intuitive. IMHO, you will learn a lot about safety and progress a lot faster if you get some instruction from an experienced turner. Otherwise you might look at some of the better videos on Youtube or see if your library has any videos on turning.

Steve Schlumpf
06-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Shawn - Welcome to the wonderful world of turning! Looking forward to seeing some of your work! Have fun with it and be safe!

George Morris
06-10-2008, 1:05 PM
welcome! good luck! This is a deep vortex!!! George

Jim Underwood
06-10-2008, 2:05 PM
Congrats on the lathe. Hope your experience with it turns out well.;)

As for tools that scare me...

I've seen a few of those early chainsaws that really do scare me. I wouldn't run one.:eek:

Shawn Honeychurch
06-10-2008, 3:24 PM
As for tools that scare me...

I've seen a few of those early chainsaws that really do scare me. I wouldn't run one.:eek:

OK, I think ya caught me there as well. :D

I found out it's a Mastercraft Model 55-4508-0.

robert hainstock
06-10-2008, 5:09 PM
Your lathe looks like the jet 1236, and/or the harbor freight 34706. It is a good starter lathe. Your tools are most likely a spindle set. There is lots of good info on this site, and on videos. If someone hasn't already, see if you cqan find a turners club locally and hitch up with them. :)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2008, 6:13 PM
Congrats Shawn and welcome to the world of turning. Have fun, be safe and let us see some of your turnings.

Dave Noon
06-10-2008, 9:50 PM
Mastercraft? That's the Canadian Tire brand. I assume you're up in the Great White North.
Good luck with your new hobby.
Dave

Allen Neighbors
06-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Welcome, Shawn. Looks just like a white Old Griz (Grizzly5979), complete with the little bed extension on the left side of the headstock.
Do some google searches, and forum searches, and buy you a bowl gouge to start with... (Doug Thompson's are best, in my book... price, too.) And talk to the Brother-in-law... get him to give you some instruction about safety, and tool presentation. A least, a little instruction is a very necessary thing, for your safety, and you're family's sanity. :)
Have a ball! Turning's the best!
Welcome, again.