PDA

View Full Version : GO453 15" planer dust collection and minor wood gloat

Matt Ellis
06-09-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm still relatively new to this game, and am trying to get a my garage set up. My tools consist mostly of hand held power tools along with a Grizzly 1023 TS and a G0453 planer that I bought last december.

I have played with the planer here and there, but really started using it this weekend. Last week, I scored about 325 bf of clear red oak and 350 bf of yellow pine. Total cost was $400. Not the deal some of you guys score, but fairly decent for lumber that had been stored for about 5 years and has a moisture content of 6%.

Anyway, i started surfacing some of this weekend, and had to remove the dust hood from the planer, as it was constantly getting plugged up. When plugged, chips would fall onto the board, then be pressed into the surface when passing through the outfeed rollers. I assume it is set up to be run with a dust collector, which I am currently lacking.

Everything worked fine after I pulled the dust port, except when standing down-wind of the planer, waiting on the board to come through...I don't know what snow storms feel like, since they aren't that frequent in middle GA, but it has to be a similar feeling! My thought was to try to build some directional baffles out cardboard or something similar to try to control the chip flow, without plugging the machine. Anyone else have any thoughts or similar experiences?

-matt

John Keeton
06-09-2008, 3:42 PM
I don't care who you are, that there was a good deal on the wood!

I have the same planer - and the same problem! Happened to see an SMC post about the small strip of foam just inside the hood. I removed that and problem solved! For some reason, it restricts the evacuation of chips, and lets some fall back down into the planer causing the impressions. Having said that, I have a DC system, and don't know if the cure will still work for you, but it certainly shouldn't hurt anything.

Peter Quinn
06-09-2008, 3:53 PM
I have an older 15" delta and it has a chip deflector for use without a hood that you must remove for use with the dust collection hood. They used to be standard like thatwhen lots of people saw DC as optional, but these days I'd suspect they figure most guys run a DC on the planer.

I use a DC with a garbage can pre separator that makes life a lot more pleasant. Standing on the out feed of a planer w/o collection is more like being caught in a locust swarm than a snow storm. Snow is kind of pretty and doesn't hurt your eyes when it hits them! You get a cleaner job and a cleaner shop too. Even a small one can poll down a single machine.

Congrats on that wood. What you gonna make with it?