PDA

View Full Version : Gypsum board

David Klug
04-13-2004, 6:05 PM
I have a couple of pieces of gypsum board left over from a bathroom remodel and I'm wondering if anyone has a brilliant idea for using it rather than throwing it. :rolleyes:

Joe Suelter
04-13-2004, 6:15 PM
If your talking drywall, pitch it! Not worth keeping. By the time you figure out what to do with it it will have absorbed enough moisture to be rendered useless. I keep my scraps until the job at hand is done, in case I need a small piece, then to the dump it goes! I used to keep all my cut-offs, tossed them in the loft of the garage, but then when I needed a piece, it was so brittle that moving it caused it to fall apart.

Michael Perata
04-13-2004, 8:29 PM
I have a couple of pieces of gypsum board left over from a bathroom remodel and I'm wondering if anyone has a brilliant idea for using it rather than throwing it. :rolleyes:
The only thing more worthless than a full sheet of un-needed drywall around the shop is a smaller piece of a full sheet.

Chris Padilla
04-13-2004, 8:41 PM
Well, here is a thought:

My wife is getting into a lot of faux painting techniques and, well, she needs a place to practice. Scrap drywall works great for this. I even textured a few pieces for her to mimic a room in our house. When she's done, it gets tossed.

Joe Suelter
04-13-2004, 11:12 PM
There you go, Chris. I knew somebody would have a use before long...other than throwing away I mean!!!!

John Miliunas
04-13-2004, 11:32 PM
LOML used some for "paths" in between planting rows. Eventually, they disintegrate, but in the meantime, made for a good walk area and kept the weeds down. :cool:

Dino Makropoulos
04-14-2004, 1:09 AM
Use it somewhere for noise or fire shield. Next to the boiler...garage...You find the place. dm

Tyler Howell
04-14-2004, 10:26 AM
LOML used some for "paths" in between planting rows. Eventually, they disintegrate, but in the meantime, made for a good walk area and kept the weeds down. :cool:
Gardeners,
Is this the same Gypsum used to help the soil :confused: . Would there be any advantage to do Peggy's thing in the garden ???

Kurt Aebi
04-14-2004, 11:53 AM
Tyler,

It IS the exact Gypsum that is good for the soil. Peggy's garden thing is beneficial in 2 ways, it gives her a good weed-free path and the gypsum will leach into the soil helping it. Win-Win solution if I ever saw one.

Chris Padilla
04-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Interesting. So I could toss some of the scrap (unpainted, untouched) drywall into my compost pile?

John Miliunas
04-14-2004, 1:23 PM
Interesting. So I could toss some of the scrap (unpainted, untouched) drywall into my compost pile?

Yup, but be aware that it will not break down nearly as fast as most of your other "materials" in the pile. :)

BTW, who's "Peggy"? :confused: :cool:

Tyler Howell
04-14-2004, 2:04 PM
One more then I promise I'll let it go. How about blue board or the fibrous stuff they are using now days. Will it turn my "matas" to something scary? "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes":eek:

I'm not going to compost it. Just a few walk ways to keep the weeds down.

I know the blue board will break down much slower if at all........ It only disintegrates fully in your bathroom or kitchen.:D

Chris Padilla
04-14-2004, 3:10 PM
It only disintegrates fully in your bathroom or kitchen.:D
Oh, how true! :rolleyes:

Paul Downes
04-14-2004, 3:26 PM
If you have heavy clay soil the gypsum will help break it down and improve it. I had the kids break up a few pieces left over from a remodel job and had them spread the pieces over the clay from the septic tank installation. Though I tried to save some top soil for the grass seed, after tearing up a large section of lawn it was inevitable to get patches of clay that won't grow grass very well. Don't put any gypsum in your gravel driveway. If the driveway is installed over clay it will develope some real soft spots wherever the gypsum is added. It takes a year or two to amend the soil.