PDA

View Full Version : DFW Creekers. Ken Fitzgerald visiting on 6/21

Jim O'Dell
06-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Ken is going to be in Arlington for a couple weeks for a school, and has one of these two days open for us to get together for a visit and a meal. Breakfast or lunch is fine with Ken. I thought it would be a good time to get several of us together and show Ken some good 'ole Tejas hospitality.
You can reply to this thread, or PM me. If you have some ideas on a good place to eat, mention them too. I don't know the Arlington restaurant scene as well as Fort Worth's. Hope to see you there!! Jim.

Martin Shupe
06-09-2008, 6:10 PM
Jim,

I can make the 21st, but the 22nd is out, as I have to take the troop to summer camp.

I would suggest lunch at Spring Creek BBQ on the 21st, and I'd like to be there.

My PM box is full, but I'll try to cull it in the next few days.

Thanks,

Martin

Steve Jenkins
06-09-2008, 6:42 PM
I'll try to be there too. Just let me know where and when.
Steve

Jim O'Dell
06-09-2008, 7:05 PM
Great!! Thanks. Let's try for Saturday, as that will work best for me also, although I can make it happen either day. Jim.

Jim Becker
06-09-2008, 9:15 PM
Oooh....Ken is in for a treat!!! DFW hospitality is top-shelf! :)

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2008, 7:29 AM
Jim......in my initial PM to Jim O'Dell he suggested we have lunch at Rockler's which is a short drive from the motel where I'm staying. I knew then this could be a CREEKER visit!:D I've never eaten at Rocklers...but I've read the menu!

Lunch......at Spring Creek Bar-b-que......BBQ in Texas? Who'da thought...next you'll tell me they serve ice tea......cole slaw.......and maybe some cornbread......a little piece of pecan pie.....

Seriously we'll have to figure out which Spring Creek Bar-b-que. I think I Mamma'd 6 of them with in a short distance around Arlington.

This will be fun!

Bill Huber
06-10-2008, 8:51 AM
Well darn.... I have to go to Kansas City that week and will be leaving that morning, 8 hour drive and I will be leaving early.

Maybe we can have another get together with the DFW Creekers this fall.

Jim O'Dell
06-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Bummer, Bill. I was just thinking if you hadn't responded to the thread that I would PM you about the get together. Sorry it's not going to work out this time. Jim.

Martin Shupe
06-10-2008, 2:59 PM
Jim......in my initial PM to Jim O'Dell he suggested we have lunch at Rockler's which is a short drive from the motel where I'm staying. I knew then this could be a CREEKER visit!:D I've never eaten at Rocklers...but I've read the menu!

Lunch......at Spring Creek Bar-b-que......BBQ in Texas? Who'da thought...next you'll tell me they serve ice tea......cole slaw.......and maybe some cornbread......a little piece of pecan pie.....

Seriously we'll have to figure out which Spring Creek Bar-b-que. I think I Mamma'd 6 of them with in a short distance around Arlington.

This will be fun!

Ken,

The ribs are the best, the sauce is perfect. I usually don't like cole slaw, but I like theirs. No cornbread, but they have fresh baked mini loaves of bread, and a cutie that brings them around hot out of the oven every few minutes. They have pecan pie, but they also have peach cobbler and Blue Bell ice cream.

Suffice it to say, you won't be disappointed.

See you there.

Martin

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2008, 3:29 PM
I'm looking forward to meeting you and shaking your hand Martin! It should be a fun time.

Remind me to tell you about my two air traffic control incidents at NAS Meridian. Those doggone Navy pilots, anyway!:D

mark page
06-10-2008, 9:01 PM
Bill,
I know you already know KC's food places, etc. from previously living here. But you can give me a shout if you want and if time permitting we can grab a bite somewhere. (I'm working six days a week now in the day job after taking on a mgmt position), but can always find time for a meal. Might even be able to coerce Greg Cole into attending also. Although he lives about 6-7 miles away and I have yet found time to introduce ourselves. PM me if interested.
Mark

John Keeton
06-11-2008, 7:16 AM
Don't seem right - you guys plannin' a big party half a country away, and the rest of us just get to read about it!! Sounds like a great time is in store. My daughter lives in Allen, and we really enjoyed our visit to that area, although it was too short to see everything. Apparently, the recession (if we are in one?) has not hit DFW! Things seemed to be really booming there. Enjoy! And, a report will be required!

Jim O'Dell
06-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Sorry John. But you're welcome to hop a flight and come join us! :cool:
Just thought I'd bump this back up in case someone missed it. Jim.

Glenn Clabo
06-13-2008, 11:28 AM
We interrupt our regular gabfest for this public service announcement.

Please be advised that a certain man who goes by the name of Ken Fitzgerald (today anyway) will be in the DFW area on June 21, 2008. This man is considered armed (with a credit card and permission slip from his wife) and dangerous (to wet paper bags because of age ya know). It is advised that only woodworkers (and drunken sailors) associate with this man who is known to party like its 1969 when away from adult supervision.
YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN
FAIR WARNING!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-13-2008, 11:31 AM
CLABO...........You sorry RASCAL!

James Carmichael
06-13-2008, 5:01 PM
I could do 6/21 as well. Like Jim, I know Cowtown way better than Arlington, so if Ken could take a jaunt west on I30, we could show him some REAL bbq at the Railhead, or a Kincaids burger. Then there's a Woodcraft just a bit further west.

Doug Shepard
06-13-2008, 5:13 PM
WOW - Word is spreading fast.
They've put this together in honor of your visit:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMhaehb5AnE

Jim O'Dell
06-13-2008, 5:21 PM
James, I was thinking more the Mexican food route and go to Uncle Julio's. :D But actually Arlington will be more in the middle except for Martin. I guess we could meet in Granbury and go to Grumps for a hamburger! (Much better than Kincaids, IMHO. And I've eaten at both in the last 3 months.) And I like Soda Springs BBQ better than Railhead, but I'm in the minority on that.
OK, with James on board, I think we're up to 6. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
06-14-2008, 7:23 PM
OK, the Creeker visit at Spring Creek...The closest one is just north of the Parks Mall on the same side of Cooper. 3608 South Cooper Street (six blocks north of I-20) (817) 465-0553 You can go to this site for more information and a map. http://www.springcreekbarbeque.com/arlington.htm
Anyone have a time preference? Jim.

James Carmichael
06-14-2008, 9:51 PM
Uncle Julio's woulda been my first choice, too, but yeah, lets not put too much of a travel demand on Ken, or those coming from that foreign country, Dallas;)

Jim O'Dell
06-14-2008, 9:57 PM
Uncle Julio's woulda been my first choice, too, but yeah, lets not put too much of a travel demand on Ken, or those coming from that foreign country, Dallas;)
We keep talking about Uncle Julios, I may have to pack up the wife and go there any way! :D I can smell the Plato Gordo® just thinking about them....... Jim.

Mike Forsman
06-15-2008, 2:11 PM
Count me in!

Martin Shupe
06-15-2008, 2:36 PM
OK, the Creeker visit at Spring Creek...The closest one is just north of the Parks Mall on the same side of Cooper. 3608 South Cooper Street (six blocks north of I-20) (817) 465-0553 You can go to this site for more information and a map. http://www.springcreekbarbeque.com/arlington.htm

1100?

1200?

Not sure how crowded it will be on a Saturday. I usually go after church on Sunday.

Lunch please, not supper.

Bill Huber
06-15-2008, 7:44 PM
Ok, it looks like my plans are changing, I have to work Saturday morning for a little bit. So I guess I will not leave until Sunday morning.

So I am in as long as the meeting is after 10:00 Saturday morning.

So all I need now is the time... I know the place.

Jim O'Dell
06-15-2008, 8:10 PM
Martin, we are definitely talking about lunch.
Bill, sorry your plans had to change, but glad you can join us!

I don't know how busy they will be either. Why don't we shoot for 12:00, and know that we might have to wait a little bit. Looks like there are 7 of us now. Anyone else want to jump in?? Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-15-2008, 8:38 PM

Martin, we are definitely talking about lunch.
Bill, sorry your plans had to change, but glad you can join us!

I don't know how busy they will be either. Why don't we shoot for 12:00, and know that we might have to wait a little bit. Looks like there are 7 of us now. Anyone else want to jump in?? Jim.

So...It's Spring Creek BBQ......3608 South Cooper Street, Arlington, TX.........12:00 Noon.....Next Saturday 6/21/2008.......?

I'm in!

Maybe someone can show what a Rockler's is afterwords?

Jim O'Dell
06-15-2008, 8:59 PM
You better be, Ken!! :eek: :p Maybe we'll make Rockler's the place for dessert. They have lots of candy to pick from! :D
Oh, and do you want me to pick you up at the motel? Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Jim...if you want to pick me up that would be great if it's not too inconvenient..... I will have a rental car so I could get there.

Jim O'Dell
06-17-2008, 4:10 PM
I'll plan to pick you up at 11:30 to 11:40. I'll be driving a white 1999 Dodge Gr. Caravan with gold painted wheels. Call me if you need anything. You have my phone number in a PM unless you've already deleted it. :) Jim.

Tyler Howell
06-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Have a great time.
Jim is a wonderful host.

Steve Jenkins
06-18-2008, 8:58 AM
It looks like I will have to bail on the lunch. I have some people coming in from out of town that I need to attend to. Sorry I'm going to miss seeing y'all.
Have fun
Steve

Jim O'Dell
06-18-2008, 9:29 AM
Sorry to hear that Steve. If it falls through at the last minute, just come on over and join us, don't worry about getting in touch with someone. Jim.

Martin Shupe
06-18-2008, 8:36 PM
It looks like I will have to bail on the lunch. I have some people coming in from out of town that I need to attend to. Sorry I'm going to miss seeing y'all.
Have fun
Steve

Sorry you will have to miss out, Steve I was looking forward to talking with you again.

Jim O'Dell
06-20-2008, 8:50 PM
OK, it's the eve of the Arlington Creeker meeting, that has no Creekers from Arlington....Hmmmm.
Anyone need any last minute information? Anyone else want to join in? It's not too late! Ken, I'll pick you up around 11:30-40. Jim.

Ron Journeau
06-21-2008, 11:11 PM
well come on,guys...how was lunch, how was the meet, and did you make it to Rocklers...heck, we be waiting on some news, even up here in canada;)

Jim O'Dell
06-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Sorry Ron, look here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=86825
I just started a new thread on it. Jim.