PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet doors

Ryan Marcoux
06-09-2008, 10:59 AM
I am building an entertainment center for my parents and want to enclose the a/v equipment behind cabinet doors. Does anyone know of a product that you can put in the door so that an IR remote will transmit signal threw it? Maybe a perforated panel or speaker cloth? ( I already know about IR repeaters)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jay Jolliffe
06-09-2008, 7:47 PM
Hello Ryan.....Last year I built a cabinet that had a tv with dvd player & other stereo stuff in it. The components were behind doors & his remote could go through the doors. The people that set it up did something so it would work....Don't know what but it's possible I guess....

Edwood Ferrari
06-09-2008, 9:54 PM
Plexiglass is transparent to IR remote control signals. A smoked grey color is typical.

Jamie Buxton
06-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Why not use an IR repeater? They solve the problem perfectly.

Josh Mountain
06-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Yup, your options are Glass, plexiglass (can't be too opaque), or some cloths like speaker grill material. OR IR repeater system of which there are hundreds of options including RF control. Some higher end A/V receivers also have RS232 jacks on the back but now you are probably getting into a much more expensive integrated control system.

Ryan Marcoux
06-10-2008, 1:33 PM
Thanks guys, I think the repeater is the way to go.