PDA

View Full Version : Omnijig

alex grams
06-09-2008, 7:58 AM
So I got this recently, and it seems the collars for the bits that fit on the router are designed exclusively to be used for PC routers with the jig? Please correct me if I am wrong on this, but the collar with the screw on ring that fit on the router plate seem to be sized exclusively for the PC size. I can see the reason on this, but really didn't expect it to be the case,but now it would seem that it requires you buy a PC router to use the PC jig.

Am I wrong? comments?

Thanks in advance.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-09-2008, 8:14 AM
I have an older style PC Omni and I don't think your conclusion is correct.
Reason: I have a set of brass collars from Lee valley and Among them are ones identical to that which I got with the PC jig.

I think that PC started the dovetail jig craze some many years ago. I could be wrong. I'm basing this on the mere anecdotal fact that the PC is the first one I ever head of from all the way back to 36+ years ago.
Well if they started it then there is a likelihood that others may have defaulted to the collar sizes they were using.

John Lucas
06-09-2008, 8:23 AM
Cliff is right. The PC adapters have become the standard around the world. Yes, they fit PC routers but every router maker I know has some way of using the PC set. And many people make similar sets....some brass ones are easier to use, in my estimation.
When you do use them, you have to be sure that the ring is tightened. They can be vibrated loose in some router operations...and that ain't fun.

alex grams
06-09-2008, 8:33 AM
Hmm, I will have to give it closer review. Thanks for the info.

Gary Lee
06-09-2008, 12:05 PM
. They can be vibrated loose in some router operations...and that ain't fun.
I'll second this. Be sure that that #&*&(&^ ring is tight. Had one come off...been there, done that, let's not do it again.

Joe Spear
06-09-2008, 5:37 PM
All you have to do is get a new baseplate for your router that has an opening to accept the PC collars. Pat Warner, Routerman, has the Cadillac version. (Google "routerman" to get his website. You can even talk to him, on the telephone.) But even a company like MCLS has them, and pretty cheap, around $11. Woodcraft, Rockler, Highland Woodworking--all the major woodworking supply companies can give you what you need. So, you do not have to get a PC router.