PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Table Saws

Scott Rychnovsky
06-09-2008, 2:25 AM
I am going to look at a used powermatic table saw, perhaps model 66 or 65. (It is listed as a "66" but the picture looks like a 65.) Is there anything I should look for as far as usability and stuff that may need to be repaired? From other threads it sounds like used powermatics still stack up well against the new model table saws. It will not be cheap. What price ranges make sense?

Thank you for the advice.

Scott

Tyler Howell
06-09-2008, 8:03 AM
PM.....The Gold Standard.
Enjoy.

Kirk Poore
06-09-2008, 4:42 PM
I am going to look at a used powermatic table saw, perhaps model 66 or 65. (It is listed as a "66" but the picture looks like a 65.) Is there anything I should look for as far as usability and stuff that may need to be repaired? From other threads it sounds like used powermatics still stack up well against the new model table saws. It will not be cheap. What price ranges make sense?

Thank you for the advice.

Scott

It is very difficult to tell a PM 65 from an older 66 from a picture. (I have a PM 65.) If the saw is gold, yellow, or dark green with white racing stripe, it's a 66. Lighter green could be either. If you look inside and both trunnions are in front of the blade, it's a 65. PM 66's are better saws, but even the 65 is equivalent to the Unisaw or any cabinet saw made today.

Look for broken castings, intact fence, bent fence rails, a magnetic or manual starter with overloads instead of just an on-off switch, extension wings. If it's older than 25 years or so, figure on changing the arbor and motor bearings.

If all is in good condition, I'd go at least $1K on a PM66 and $600 on a PM65. With stuff missing or broken, deduct accordingly. I bought my PM65 for $240, but put almost $700 into it to add a motor, starter, pushbutton control, extension wings (PM 66 wings fit), paint, etc. It had been abused, but now works perfectly.

Kirk