PDA

View Full Version : Atkins backsaw

Kyle Koenig
04-13-2004, 3:47 PM
I just purchased an old Atkins 10" backsaw from Mr. Tom Law!! Wow, it is great to use a nice saw that is well sharpened!

I do have a question. It is a closed handled saw and there is a break in the handle. At first I thought it was just loose, but upon further investigation, it turned out to have a break along the bottom part. How best can I fix this? I thought to pry it apart and slather some glue in there, however I am concerned that this could potentially break the entire handle.

Thanks in advance!

Richard Gillespie
04-13-2004, 8:35 PM
I just purchased an old Atkins 10" backsaw from Mr. Tom Law!! Wow, it is great to use a nice saw that is well sharpened!

I do have a question. It is a closed handled saw and there is a break in the handle. At first I thought it was just loose, but upon further investigation, it turned out to have a break along the bottom part. How best can I fix this? I thought to pry it apart and slather some glue in there, however I am concerned that this could potentially break the entire handle.

Thanks in advance!

There is an attachment for vacuum cleaners intended to clean computer keyboards. Work out a clamping method first and then put wood glue along the break on the inside of the handle. Use a vacuum to suck the glue into the joint from the outside and then clamp.

Terry Beadle
04-13-2004, 9:17 PM
I bought an old tennon saw that had a closed handle on it. I didn't like the wood it was made from so I took some 4qtr babinga and made a replacement. It took about an hour and it really looks good with some oil finish. You might consider using your existing handle as a pattern for a complete new handle. Unless you are concerned about authenticity..etc. Anyway, if the vaccume glue idea doesn't work out ok..it might be a fall back position. I recommend the babinga because of the interlocking grain. Tough stuff. Better than rosewood I think.

Dave Anderson NH
04-14-2004, 5:56 AM
You can make a new handle out of almost any hardwood you choose. Many originals were of Apple or Beech. Other materials used over the years include Cocobolo, Rosewood, and even mahogany though this was a much denseer and heavier mahogany than can be found easily today. I would still save the old handle if you make a new one however.

James Carmichael
04-14-2004, 11:07 AM
There is an attachment for vacuum cleaners intended to clean computer keyboards. Work out a clamping method first and then put wood glue along the break on the inside of the handle. Use a vacuum to suck the glue into the joint from the outside and then clamp.

Richard,

I'm quite interested in the method you describe as I just picked up a Disston #12 crosscut with a crack in the handle. I could make a new one, but would prefer to keep the original as it is beautiful, a light apple, and doubt if I could duplicate the wheat carving.

Where do you find the attachment you are referring to? Electronics stores?

Thanks

Alan Turner
04-14-2004, 2:35 PM
Congrats on your new Atkinis. They were a competitor of Disston, and the metal on the Atkins was hardened to several points harder than were the Disston blades. You can really tell this hardness difference when filing it, and then filing a Disston. Much harder to file. Atkins was out of Ohio, if I recall.
A saw sharpened by Tom Law is a wonderful thing. He is so good at getting the set even on both sides of the blade that it is hard not to cut a straight line. Did he file it rip, or crosscut? A 10" saw is nice for smaller dovetails. Good luck with your handle repair.