PDA

View Full Version : grounding....

Greg Cuetara
06-08-2008, 11:34 PM
I was having troubles with my tractor. I have a little john deere and it works great...well it worked great...I would turn the power take off on and the blades wouldn't go around...so my grass was almost up to my waist because I havn't been able to mow in a few weeks. I took the tractor apart a few times and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I finally tracked down the problem to a loose bolt holding a grounding wire.

rant on...

Why does a small tractor need 100 grounding wires. It seems as though every small electrical piece needs a grounding wire back to the frame. Why can't there be one wire back to the battery...If one bolt is loose or one connection is not perfect things won't work....argh....it seems as though there could be a better way to keep an electrical system working...

rant off...

Tom Veatch
06-09-2008, 1:10 AM
Greg, can't answer your question but feel your pain. In case you're not aware of them, you may be interested in www(dot)tractorbynet(dot)com. There is an active JD forum in that group as well as several other general and specific model tractor oriented discussions. They are moderated groups that are in many respects similar to SMC but oriented toward agriculture/country living in general and tractors in particular.

Jim Becker
06-09-2008, 8:32 AM
It's typical in "motive" applications for a long time (especially pre- wiz-bang electronics) to use the vehicle frame as the "negative" return to the battery. It reduces the amount of wire necessary by a significant amount.

Tractorbynet.com is an excellent tractor oriented forum site that might also be of interest to you.