PDA

View Full Version : Delta miter saw issue or normality

Jay Yoder
06-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Does anyone out there have one of these miter saws? i bought one a couple years ago and so far have not been real impressed. It seems to not be able to hold its settings and does not spool up or even at full speed run real smooth. I also seem to experience alot of blade deflection. I was hoping to use it for my woodshop, but not sure it will be accurate enough. It works great for 2x's and great at 4x's. Is this normal? i have been less than impressed with the Delta equipment i have had recently. I am thinking of relagating it to construction only. I was thinking of getting one of the 8" sliders for the shop. Any suggestions?

jerry nazard
06-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Jay,

Which saw is it?

-Jerry

Jay Yoder
06-08-2008, 10:39 PM
it was supposedly the top of the line 12" double bevel saw model 36-412...sorry, wrong model number...see below...

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Industrial-36-412-12-Inch-Compound/dp/B0000EI96H

Dewey Torres
06-09-2008, 12:52 AM
I noticed the same thing you did so it's not you.

I only use mine for rough sizing and use the TS for accuracy.

Here are some lessons learned:
1) The Delta blade that comes with it is low quality:(. I hope you have already changed it.

2) Unless you tighten (I mean real tight) the knob after you make the adjustment, you will get deflection.

3) This deflection gets worse if you don't make a concerted effort to pull the blade down strait. This should be easy to do on 0 degree cut, but pay a lot more attention once you use the miter or bevel cuts.

4) Make a plan to sell it and buy a (high quality) compound slider.

Well at least number 4 is what I am doing anyway.:) Practice what you preach right?

Dewey