PDA

View Full Version : Riving knifes on table saws

bob bronner
06-08-2008, 9:18 PM
I heard that there is a new law about riving knives on table saws. Does anyone know what it is and when it will be in effect?

Thanks!

Jim Becker
06-08-2008, 9:45 PM
"New" models had to have the riving knife setup (including quick change capability for the knife and guards) effective January of this year. (2008) All table saws sold after 2014 will be required to have this type of safety arrangement. I believe this comes under UL regulations, not a "law".

Ken Fitzgerald
06-08-2008, 9:49 PM
Bob,

UL is requring it as of this year. I'll bet it won't be long before it becomes a government requirement, however.

bob bronner
06-08-2008, 10:52 PM
so that is on new models, but a model that someone has been making for years doesn't have to have it yet? Just making sure I understand.

Thanks.

Dewey Torres
06-08-2008, 11:52 PM
I would also bet it won't be long before someone comes up with a true (works well) retro fit riving knife for older saws. Had I bought a new saw I would have bought one with a riving knife but for now I will just have to institute the tried and true precautions as always.
Dewey

Steven Wilson
06-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Retrofiting an exisiting saw with a riving knife is a non-trivial task. You won't find a cheap retro fit kit.

Dewey Torres
06-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Yes Steve... I know. What I meant was, some SMARRRRT person will eventually solve that problem once every other saw on the planet requires one and in the process will make him/herself prosperous as a result. I am rooting for this person whoever/wherever they are.
Dewey

Jim Becker
06-09-2008, 8:48 AM
so that is on new models, but a model that someone has been making for years doesn't have to have it yet? Just making sure I understand.

Correct. New models must have it "now". After 2014, vendors will no longer be able to sell a table saw that is not outfitted with a riving knife setup and the requisite "quick change" capability. (So folks are more inclined to actually use them unlike the "traditional" splitter/guards that are a pain to take off and put back on) Riving knives can also be used for almost all cuts, unlike a splitter which cannot accommodate non-through cuts.

Steven Wilson
06-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Yes Steve... I know. What I meant was, some SMARRRRT person will eventually solve that problem once every other saw on the planet requires one and in the process will make him/herself prosperous as a result. I am rooting for this person whoever/wherever they are.
Dewey
The nature of the problem doesn't lead to an inexpensive solution. Wishful thinking isn't going to bring it about. The choices are; replace the trunion assembly, replace a portion of the trunion, or sell a kit to modify the trunion. None of those options are cheap, even in quantity. Face it, if you have an American style cabinet saw its value is likely to decline as replacement saws with riving knifes enter the market and become popular. Just like square head jointers.

bob bronner
06-09-2008, 10:57 AM
So is anyone making a decent 10" cabinet saw with a riving knife for around $1000.00. Something like 3hp 220V, with a 30" rip capacity. I've almost pulled the trigger on the Grizzly 1023SLW a few times, but a riving knife just makes too much sense. (http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Left-Tilt-Cabinet-Table-Saw/G1023SLW)

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Bob

Steve Sawyer
06-09-2008, 11:49 AM
So is anyone making a decent 10" cabinet saw with a riving knife for around $1000.00. Something like 3hp 220V, with a 30" rip capacity.

Look at the Grizzly G0661 which they describe as a "contractor's" saw, but is (IMO) really a hybrid. Check on what they're quoting on shipping times though. It's a new model and when I tried to buy one back in February they were back ordered until July!!

Also, the new Steel City cabinet saw I think might be in that price range. This is the new one that comes equipped with either their new granite top, or for a bit less, standard cast iron. I seem to recall seeing a post in the last month that these are starting to arrive in dealer showrooms.

David DeCristoforo
06-09-2008, 11:52 AM
"So is anyone making a decent 10" cabinet saw with a riving knife for around $1000.00..."

Soon everyone will be making them. Once it becomes "required" the whole argument that you can't make an inexpensive saw or even a "mid priced" saw with a riving knife will vanish.

Curt Harms
06-09-2008, 1:01 PM
but don't remember where. The discussion was about how to make a riving knife follow an arc vs. straight up & down blade travel. An engineering type said in effect "ain't that hard. Ya just use a dual link (or some such term) mechanism." Either said engineering type didn't appreciate what needed to happen or might be set to move up a tax bracket or two.

Curt

Paul Ryan
06-09-2008, 1:10 PM
Check out your closest Steel City ditrubutor. I think the 2008 designed saw w/riving knife 30in rails and 3hp will run around $1200. That will be a much better saw than any contractor style, and aruguably the best fence around.

Matt Hutchinson
06-09-2008, 1:21 PM
I checked the Grizzly model out a couple weeks ago. I don't know what the current time frame is, but they are backordered for a couple months. If you don't mind waiting, I think it's a great looking deal.

When I get a tablesaw, I would like to get one with a riving knife. The first tablesaws I used all had riving knives, and I didn't understand why all saws didn't have them. At that time (12 years ago), there were several instances where it prevented serious kickback, and that was super important in a shop full of highschoolers! I am glad to hear that the safety standards are being raised.

Hutch

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2008, 1:24 PM
but don't remember where. The discussion was about how to make a riving knife follow an arc vs. straight up & down blade travel. An engineering type said in effect "ain't that hard. Ya just use a dual link (or some such term) mechanism." Either said engineering type didn't appreciate what needed to happen or might be set to move up a tax bracket or two.

Curt

Curt,

That's the problem with most current saw designs...especially my contractor's type saw. Keeping the blade the same height with respect to the blade as you move the blade up and down. My trunion moves in an arc. No matter which end of the trunion moves, the relationship of the height of a riving knife would change with respect to the blade unless you designed some really complicated mechanics. There in lies the increased cost for retrofits.

I'm in the process of building shop cabinets. My current blade guard and splitter remains on the saw EXCEPT when I'm cutting dadoes. Mine removes easily and tips with the blade tilted. I actually can use it when I'm cutting the french cleats. I would think that a riving knife would work better, however.