PDA

View Full Version : First Post and an Old Family Saw

Michael Boyle
06-08-2008, 8:03 PM
This is my first post, before I get into it I want to thank everyone on this board for their great posts and wiliness to share their knowledge. I only recently found this board and I have to say it has been unbelievably informative; I can not thank all of you enough!!!

While reading the posts on the board, I was fascinated by the many posts sharing the work and history on “Old iron”. All of that got me thinking about an old 8” table saw that I inherited from my grandfather almost 20 years ago. I hate to say it, but it just sat in the corner of my basement, unused, for years. My grandfather went into the contracting business on his own in the late 1940’s. He used this saw on construction sites throughout the 50’s and 60’s and then had it at his home until he passed away in 1979. It was then passed on to my uncle who gave it to me in the late 1980’s

The saw itself is an old Wards Powr-Kraft model 74FD2260 that was made by the Duro Company in 1949. It had a lot of surface rust on the table top and it had not been serviced forever. I completely overhauled the internal assemblies; I have to admit this saw is very simple in its construction so it really was a matter of de-greasing everything and putting it back together with new lubrication. The top took a considerable amount of time to clean up, but it is good and flat without any serious pits. I built the stand you see in the pictures so the saw is the same height as my regular table saw. I then attached it to the right extension wing on my saw so I now have two saws side by side. I am using an older Delta/Rockwell motor to power it.

I am really pleased with the way it all turned out; I am planning on building a sled for it so I can use it as a dedicated saw for making miter cuts on small projects. It actually runs extremely well. I realize that this is nothing like the wonderful Unisaws and PM66’s that I have seen others on this forum restore, but I have really loved bringing this little piece of family history back into service. It has also allowed my to feel close to my grandfather who used it so successfully years ago.

Greg Hines, MD
06-08-2008, 8:33 PM
Welcome to the creek. Nice little saw you have there. You did a great job of restoring it.

Doc

Peter Quinn
06-08-2008, 8:41 PM
Cool saw. And here I was thinking bench top saws were a recent invention! That's the first one I've seen made of iron. Beautiful job.

M Toupin
06-08-2008, 8:41 PM
Nice restore! I think your idea of a sled for dedicated miter cuts etc, is a great idea. They have some short comings, but you just might have found a great way to get some use out of and preserve these old pieces of history.

Mike

Carroll Courtney
06-08-2008, 8:47 PM
Welcome to the Creek!Good job on the cleaning of your grandfathers saw.It may be small,but it made him a living through the years.Nothing is better than a tool being pass down with the store of the hands that it went through.Looking forward to seeing more post and pics from you. Carroll

Kevin French
06-08-2008, 10:46 PM
I just gave away an old Power Kraft to a friend of mine. Not sure of the model # but it had an interial 1 hp motor.

Not a bad saw, very little rust. I found it in the dump.

Dewey Torres
06-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Nothing beats sentimental value huh?
Welcome!
Dewey

Rick Potter
06-09-2008, 3:39 AM
My dad bought a 1946 Craftsman table saw with his separation money from the Navy after the war. He was going to get rid of it about 20-25 years ago when he got a newer saw. I took it because of the history, and stored it for years until I finally gave it to someone because I needed the space.

Now dads gone, and I still need the space, but I often think of the saw, and deeply regret ever letting it go. I am glad you kept yours.

Rick Potter

George Sanders
06-09-2008, 7:26 AM
Nice cleanup on the saw. Glad to see someone preserve a piece of old iron along with their family history. Welcome to the creek.

J. Z. Guest
06-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks for posting and joining us for real!

Nice little saw; old machinery has such character.

If you use that with a crosscut sled and a miter sled, it may just as much use as your regular table saw! Then you could leave the fence on your regular saw for ripping and just use it for more specialty stuff.

It looks like a very basic saw; like it doesn't even do bevels? But within that simplicity is part of the reason it has held up for nearly 60 years. Less complicated = less things to go wrong.

Welcome to SMC.

Michael Boyle
06-09-2008, 9:19 PM
I want to thank everyone on their kind words to this thread. I do agree there is something about repairing and then using a tool that has been in my family for many years that is very rewarding. As always, I really do enjoy reading everyone's posts and seeing their projects. I really look forward to many more years participating in this forum.

Thank You,
Mike Boyle