PDA

View Full Version : F H Clement 16" jointer rebuild.

Rick Ford
06-08-2008, 7:28 PM
:cool: I recently acquired a 16" Clement jointer and I am in the process of getting it set up in my shop. I bought it from a poor pic on Craigs List and had to drive 100 miles round trip to get it. I talked to the seller who said it was working and came from a cabinet shop that had to close.
It's always scary buying something sight unseen but it was such a good deal I had to go for it. I made a small deposit through Paypal, hooked up the old car hauler to my truck took out a small loan to gas my truck and away I went.
In the pics the machine showed some rust but I was pleasantly surprised to find it was only superficial surface rust and the machine was in pretty good shape.
Loaded it on the trailer with a forklift and headed for home. Now how do I get it off the trailor and into the shop...Disassemble of course.

Here's some pics of the process.

Rick Ford
06-08-2008, 7:38 PM
More Pics of disassemble.

Rick Ford
06-08-2008, 7:42 PM
More pics of disassemble to move into shop..

Peter Quinn
06-08-2008, 7:49 PM
Now docking, QEII pier 7. WOW. Nice old iron. love the picks.

Rick Ford
06-08-2008, 7:54 PM
Pics of jointer in shop and partially reassembled.

The second pic shows the only badge I could find.

In the third pic There appears to be a piece broken off the fence where I think there should be a 90degree stop. Can someone post a pic of their fence so I can attempt a repair??

Rick Ford
06-08-2008, 7:58 PM
This is all for now,

You can see the stand for the motor which is connected directly to the cutterhead by a clever dual cog and chain setup.

I'll post more pics as I get it up and running..

I would appreciate any info on the jointer.

Ie: range of manufacture dates, manuals etc...

Mike Wilkins
06-09-2008, 9:38 AM
Great find for what looks like an aircraft carrier deck.
That Powermatic in the background is looking jealous.

Jeff Duncan
06-09-2008, 9:43 AM
You'll want to go over to OWWM for that information and other help with the restore.
BTW I couldn't tell from the pics, is that a clamshell cutterhead? Those are usually the ones that go dirt cheap. If so you may want to look into a replacement.

good luck,
JeffD

Chuck Saunders
06-09-2008, 1:45 PM
That looks great! I can't wait to see it when you are done.