PDA

View Full Version : Does Size Matter?

Malcolm Tibbetts
06-08-2008, 7:06 PM
I’ve started working on the production of a series of “How To” Segmented Turning DVDs. I hope to have the series of lessons completed by next November – (maybe). These were created as part of Lesson Two (Checkered Forms).
The woods are walnut and maple, lyptus and purpleheart, lyptus and maple, and lyptus and yellowheart (the little one). Sizes range from 1 ˝” to 13” tall.
As always, all comments are welcome.

Bruce Pennell
06-08-2008, 7:32 PM
Sign me up for your DVD's Malcolm, I'm waiting on your book right now. Haven't done any seg. work yet but its on my list. Love your work...Bruce

Bob Langley
06-08-2008, 7:40 PM
Loved your book!! Can't wait until the DVD is available!

curtis rosche
06-08-2008, 7:59 PM
thats great. you know how when you look at it and there is 2 "ends" the longest peices of wood on the sides? you ought to make those go the opposite direction than the rest of the peice, i think that would look neat. that about the only thing that i can find that you could change to make them different other than wood

Gary Herrmann
06-08-2008, 8:48 PM
Eagerly awaiting those DVDs, Malcolm.

Richard Madison
06-08-2008, 8:59 PM
Lots of careful stock preparation required there. The less dextrous amongst us may have to go with medium and large sizes.

Chip Sutherland
06-08-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm not sure about your question. If you're asking about the overal size of the piece, I think the bowl on the left is a good piece for a student to try in your video....there's lots of folks in the marketplace with midi lathes that cannot spin a 13". If you're talking about the size of the pieces in the checkerboard, thickness and width should be something manageable for most available woodstock. Having been a flat woodworker, I have lot's of 13/16 short cuts boards gathering dust that are prime for segmented work. Personally, I'll probably buy some poplar from the local BORG for my first truly segmented pieice before I commit any of my wenge, bloodwood, lyptus, walnut, purpleheart mesquite...

Aesthically, the longer end pieces seem to stretch around more than my eye likes but I am in no position to critique the teacher when I am still a grasshopper.

I love your book. I'm still making the cutoff sled for the table saw (I cannibalized some stock for a church project).....but my eye is in stave construction. I'll put the DVDs on my Xmas list.

Doug Reesor
06-09-2008, 6:23 PM
Malcolm,

As a beginner in "The Art of Segmented Wood Turning" I have found you book very instructive and inspirational. I would say that size matters a lot. I am finding that cutting and gluing are much easier for me with larger size segments and fewer joints. As my skill at layout, cutting, handling and gluing improve, the size of my segments that I am trying is getting smaller and smaller. It has been very useful seeing both ends of the size spectrum in both turnings and segments to give perspect and challenge for future projects.

Doug

Fred Floyd
06-10-2008, 2:39 AM
I have read your book cover-to-cover -- twice. It is truly excellent. I've done some simple segmented pieces that came out OK. Most of the success can be attributed to getting tight joints.

Certainly the book was good, but you can count me in when your videos are released. I'm sure they'll be excellent.

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2008, 6:26 PM
Don't know if size matters Malcolm but those are beauties.