PDA

View Full Version : Silver Maple Bowl - Critique Please

Tim A. Mitchell
06-08-2008, 4:26 PM
I recieved a free piece of Silver Maple. It was a crotch piece , and was cut relatively thin, but with varying thickness. As I started to turn it, the I got down to where portions of the bark were left, and liked the overall shape and the look of the bark.

Edit: 9.25 inches by 2.5 inches

What do you think? I plan on some more hand sanding to work over the tear out and foot.

curtis rosche
06-08-2008, 8:00 PM
looks nice, i would take a chisel and get rid of the foot though, thats more of a classic bowl than a dish with a foot

Richard Madison
06-08-2008, 9:07 PM
A small diameter, short (1/8" to 3/16" high) foot is sometimes used to help the piece "float" above the surface, and is not visible from any usual viewpoint.

Wes Henson
06-08-2008, 10:21 PM
I like the bark inclusion. I think the other color spot looks a little like a maple leaf. Neat. What are you going to do for a finish, something to bring out the grain?

Dennis Puskar
06-08-2008, 10:43 PM
I like the bowl with the bark inclusion but I have to agree with Curtis get rid of the foot.

Dennis

Tim A. Mitchell
06-11-2008, 1:59 PM
Thanks guys. I think I might remove the foot. It is a bit small for the size of the bowl. The piece is now achieving a nice oval shape to it.

For finish I was thinking BLO and wipe on polly in a satin finish after the oil cures.