PDA

View Full Version : When is a deal too good to be true?

Dick Strauss
06-08-2008, 11:03 AM
This post isn't directed to anyone but is just a question I've had for a while.

How do you avoid buying stolen merchandise? How do you know when a deal is too good to be true? I'm not a thief and don't want to encourage others. I always ask lots of questions about why the tool is being sold and look for engraved names, etc. Are there suggestions for avoiding stolen goods?

Thanks in advance,
Dick

scott spencer
06-08-2008, 11:23 AM
That's a tough one to be certain about. I just follow my instincts. If the tool checks out, fits the bill, and I feel good about buying it, I do it. The person on the other end and their behaviors probably influence that "feeling" quite a bit but it's far from an exact science. Most people are honest and pretty open about the circumstances of why something's for sale.

Jim King
06-08-2008, 11:30 AM
In Peru if you dont have the invoice or receipt of the tool it can be considered stolen. A LOT of reason for that here. The local flea market is more well known as the theives market.

A few months ago the police came to my office and said that a hydraulic pump on their truck was no good and they needed a new one. They said a new one cost about $500 and they understood that was a lot of money but they knew where there was a stolen one for $150 and could I help them to buy it ? I gave them the money and the next day the truck went by. It is how it is and it ain´t going to change.

Pat Germain
06-08-2008, 11:35 AM
I think knowing about the item you're buying helps. You can tell if the seller actually used it and knows anything about it. If the seller knows nothing outside the world of night clubs, partying and loud car stereos, yet is offering up a 19" bandsaw, you gotta wonder.

This isn't to suggest people into partying are any more likely to sell stolen goods. Rather, if things just add up, it's time to be suspicious.

Ed Jolin
06-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Personally, I avoid buying used hand power/air tools; I always wonder why a seller has 11 cordless drills, or 6 pancake compressors. That sort of stuff is too easy to be lifted from a jobsite or truck bed. Also completeness; e.g. Why would a guy have a drill without it's corresponding sized chuck key, or router without collet wrenches. I know there are exceptions (I've lost a chuck key before), but it raises an eyebrow if a critical accessory is not included. I tend to buy used things that are unlikely to be stolen items, so 'good deals' are mostly because they just want the machine out of there. e.g. 50 year old radial arm saw, old 70's arc welder, etc. Recently I've been looking for a set of welding tanks, which are notorious for being stolen from jobsites. I've passed up many 'deals' because of suspicious circumstances; but I have responded to a couple “too good to be true” that happened to be in areas of town where the seller is unlikely to be selling stolen items from their million dollar home...but, ya' never know.

Bob Slater
06-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Get a receipt with their ID on it. That quickly seperates the thieves from the honest sellers. I was real close to buying a guitar I had coveted for a long time. When the seller balked at producing ID, I had to pass. Thieves will rob from you eventually.

Dave Lehnert
06-08-2008, 12:50 PM
I always like things on sale like Craigs List. "new in box" Something like "purchased this $500 miter saw and newer used it." I know when I buy a tool for that amount I have it out of the box and check for damage in the first 5 min.
Had a guy at a flea market come up to me offering me a Craftsman box full of tools for the cheap. He was in a big hurry. Said his wife was in labor and needed the money to go to the hospital. NOT!!!! I was born at night but it was not last night.

Mike Heidrick
06-08-2008, 2:35 PM
In Peru if you dont have the invoice or receipt of the tool it can be considered stolen. A LOT of reason for that here. The local flea market is more well known as the theives market.

A few months ago the police came to my office and said that a hydraulic pump on their truck was no good and they needed a new one. They said a new one cost about $500 and they understood that was a lot of money but they knew where there was a stolen one for $150 and could I help them to buy it ? I gave them the money and the next day the truck went by. It is how it is and it ain´t going to change.

Jim, why did the police come to you????
If stealing is the way of life - why did they need any money to buy it? God help the tourists.

Jim Kountz
06-08-2008, 2:40 PM
Jim, why did the police come to you????
If stealing is the way of life - why did they need any money to buy it? God help the tourists.

I too was a'ponderin all this myself.

Wade Lippman
06-08-2008, 5:00 PM
The only time I ever asked to see a receipt was an unused Domino for $300 off list; it was way too good to be true. He had the receipt! Apparently he didn't decide he didn't want it until the return period expired.

I don't honestly know what I would have done if he didn't have the receipt.

David DeCristoforo
06-08-2008, 5:40 PM
The "rule of thumb" I have always used is quite simple. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is....

Pat Germain
06-08-2008, 5:42 PM
I'm still amazed there's so much talk of so many amazing deals on power tools. I check craigslist and ebay regularly. I almost never see any good deals on power tools. Typically, it's new stuff for full retail, or used stuff for a few dollars off retail. Perhaps there's just less thievery around central Colorado. That or the hot stuff ends up in pawn shops which also sell for just a few dollars off full retail.

I wish had the opportunity to question if a deal was too good to be true.

Jim King
06-08-2008, 7:34 PM
The typical Policeman here works for about $250 a month unless they get to Comander, Colonel or General and they have little or no budget for maintainence , furniture, Gasoline , paper etc..

Most people in business here help them on a regular basis or they would be walking and without paint for the stations or without desks etc. etc..

Food is the same cost here as the States or a bit more as we are so isolated and the freight triples the cost of most things over the cost in other parts of the country. They simply do not make enough to raise a family. Helping them is just being a good part of the community.

Jack Camillo
06-08-2008, 7:47 PM
I think it's sometimes pretty easy to spot the stolen stuff on craig's list. Some woman had five 6-inch double bench grinders new in the box, with flex shaft attachments. Said her husband bought them for a project he was going to do but never got around to it. FIVE of the same thing?! For a project?! She wanted 25 or 30 bucks a piece. I was tempted, but then decided a) the crap was no doubt stolen, and b) she/they probably needed a drug a fix, and if I showed up, they'd probably want whatever else was in my wallet...

Craig Summers
06-08-2008, 11:16 PM
To analyze the issue, I would create at least 2 categories

1) Least likely to be stolen
a) A used tool that includes the owner's manual, the seller can demonstrate, and also has normal accessories
b) New in the box with a reciept

2) More likely to be stolen
c) a used tool that the seller has no manual or accessories, and has no clue about.
d) New in the box with no receipt

I do agree with the idea of ID and reciepts, especially for expensive (+$500) purchases or if you have any doubts

Jeff Duncan
06-09-2008, 9:37 AM
It's easy for me, I don't buy used power tools, at least not portable ones. Used machinery is a different story, but you don't have many thieves selling large industrial machines. Anything that's handheld I buy new when I need it as it's more practical for me. It's also beneficial having the manufacturers warranty and ability to take it back if it does fail.
JeffD

Tim Thomas
06-09-2008, 10:22 AM
The only used tools that I have purchased have either been from (a) people I know or (b) estate/garage sales. With people I know, I'm of course not worried about buying stolen goods, and with estate sales it is usually pretty obvious that the tools are actually the seller's real property. I haven't tried Craig's list or a pawn shop as I generally avoid those places. I guess going to a pawn shop or finding something on Craig's list or eBay makes it a little easier to actually find what you are looking for. Estate sales are very hit and miss. You have to sift through a LOT of junk before you find a jewel, but when you do it is usually a hell of a bargain and you don't have to worry that it is stolen. So my advice on buying used tools that aren't stolen would be to spend more time at estate/garage sales and less time surfing the net or prowling the pawn shops.

Jack Vines
06-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Kharma, the immutable law. All debts must be paid. Several times over the years, I have gone to a garage sale or looked at an item on craigslist or a used car and then passed on the tool or car because I just didn't want anything that particular person had ever touched. Sometimes it was the way he/she acted or treated others, sometimes his/her surroundings, but I just felt bad kharma was attached. When in doubt, go with the vibe.

A corollary to this is, "you can't cheat an honest man."

thnx, jack vines

Randal Stevenson
06-09-2008, 11:48 AM
I always like things on sale like Craigs List. "new in box" Something like "purchased this $500 miter saw and newer used it." I know when I buy a tool for that amount I have it out of the box and check for damage in the first 5 min.
Had a guy at a flea market come up to me offering me a Craftsman box full of tools for the cheap. He was in a big hurry. Said his wife was in labor and needed the money to go to the hospital. NOT!!!! I was born at night but it was not last night.

I see the new in box thing frequently, and it isn't always stolen. I've seen bargin alerts posted, people purchase, then later try to sell it on CL, Ebay, or back to the groups that posted the bargain alerts. Unless you have been watching for a bit, you won't know for sure.

But you do have to be aware of how people act. I've asked one person flat out, only to have them say no, then twenty seconds later, say it was "hot" (like I was an idiot). I told them where to go (nothing worse then a thief, don't get me started).

Ben Cadotte
06-09-2008, 12:37 PM
I always ask quite a bit of questions. If the person makes statements like they used it very little, or something to the line that they personally used the machine and don't like it for some reason. But then can't answer simple questions. Then I walk. Alot of people buy things at local yard sales and then put them on ebay or cl. They act as they have owned the machine awhile to make you think they know it and took very good care of it. When in fact they have no clue.