PDA

View Full Version : Triton Wood Rack mounting questions - really need your help!

Greg McCallister
06-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Hey everyone,

I have 250 BF kiln dried maple coming Monday. (First major wood purchase for me. Is $2.00 BF a good price?)
Dummy me did not think out about storage as this came up pretty quick.
Would the Triton Wood Rack (http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4793)system sold at Woodcraft serve my needs? I have read here that many really like the system.
I would be attaching it to my garage walls that are old 2x4 studs on 24" centers (old Douglas fir that will not allow a nail to be driven into - hard as cement). I can not find anything about the mounting of the brackets...
Will these 2x4 studs be enough support or do I need to reinforce them - if so how should I?
Do I use lag screws? If so what size is recommended? (1/4", 5/16", 3/8" x 3", 3 1/2", 4"... galvanized or standard?) Also how many?
Also the maple will be in 8' lengths so I should place the brackets 6' apart?
I know I can not get the rack today as woodcraft is closed on Sunday, however, I can pick up the other needed materials today at the borg.
Or do you have another suggestions for a storage rack?

glenn bradley
06-08-2008, 10:17 AM
My rack (not Triton) hangs from studs on 16" centers via lag screws. I have had no problems.

Russell Tribby
06-08-2008, 10:27 AM
I went to HD and bought the the double slotted shelving standards (I think they're made by Rubbermaid). I screwed those into my studs and then used the 13.5" brackets. It's completely adjustable and I can add as many brackets/levels as I want. I screwed mine into the studs using 3" wood screws and it's holding up just fine. I just recently had about 160 bd ft of Poplar stored on it with no problems.

Eric DeSilva
06-08-2008, 10:43 AM
You might look into industrial cantilever racking.

My wood storage rack is freestanding, although butted up against a wall. I ordered--sort of sight unseen, some "medium duty" industrial shelving. I wasn't expecting what I got. Its three 7' towers about 3' apart, two sets of i-beams between each tower section, 30" arms, and the parts came on a pallet and weighed about 500 lbs. I think its spec'd at about 8000# lbs per section. But, it is more solid than any wood rack or shelving I've seen at WC or the Borgs (unless, of course, you count the racks they store their wood products on).

Anyway, I'd encourage you to look a little outside the box here. If I did it again, I'd probably look at "light duty" industrial shelving. Think mine may be overkill.

Rusty Elam
06-08-2008, 11:09 AM
I have the Triton mounted to 24" studs with 3 " lag bolts and it works fine, I probably dont have that much wood on it (250bf) but if you are worried you could always buy 2 and put them on all 4 studs for a real strong rack. By the way I think they are on sale right now at Rockler $20 bucks off.

Don Abele
06-08-2008, 3:30 PM
Greg, I bought the Triton system a couple of years ago. I bought two of them and attached them with 3 1/2 inch screws. The standards are four feet apart, except for the end one which is only two feet for the smaller lengths. This is an older pic but shows about 100 bd ft of hard maple, 60 bd ft of poplar, 40 bd ft of oak, and 20 bd of curly maple - about 220 bd feet total.

I have another two sets on the opposite wall, again attached with 3 1/2 inch screws with all the standards spaced four feet apart. That set is loaded with almost 500 bd feet of oak.

I've not had any problem with the system. It's VERY stable.

Be well,

Doc

Brent Smith
06-08-2008, 4:17 PM
Hi Greg,

I have a couple of the Triton racks that I use for shorter lengths. You definately want to support those boards at more than 6', as mentioned above go with at least 2 sets.

For my larger and heavier lumber I use this system. I placed the standards at 16" on a concrete wall and have yet to overload it no matter how much lumber I sqeeze on there. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32145&cat=1,43326
(mods, my apologies if the link is contrary to the rules)

Bryan Cowing
06-08-2008, 4:58 PM
I bought 2 sets for one wall, like the others, 4 ft apart. But best part, they were on sale at the time, $20 off :D, so I went back and bought some more for the opposite wall. I used washers and 1/4" lag about 2" long to mount them.

Bill Arnold
06-08-2008, 5:31 PM
I bought three pairs of Triton racks and set them up in two sets. Each set consists of three standards placed four feet apart on wood studs. This arrangement provides three-point support over an eight foot span, so it supports 12' lumber with no problem.

Before purchasing the Triton system, I reviewed several homemade systems and decided it was best for me based on price and the saving in time to assemble.

Peter Quinn
06-08-2008, 9:21 PM
Looking for links to the weight of maple I'm finding KD hard maple weighs about 3.75-4# per BF, so that puts your lumber close to 1000#. The triton can handle according to the wood craft site close to 700#, so you'll be pushing it trying to put 250BF on a single set.

My triton rack is on a stud wall with 16" centers sheathed in 3/4" CDX on the rack side and 5/8" Sheet rock on the other with blocking at the mid point connecting each stud. Very rigid wall, probably overkill. I think I used 3 1/2" fasten master deck lags which I like for strength and easy of use vrs traditional lag screws. Pre drilling is a good idea in that old fir. For 8' lumber I like the standards 4" apart, leaving 2" of wood overhanging each end to cantilever the middle and keep things straight.

Depending on the exact configuration of your lumber package it may be physical difficult to fit that much material on a single rack, but it should be close. I like the triton system but I will probably go with something like the Lee valley set up Brent linked above for my next rack for added flexibility.

Greg McCallister
06-09-2008, 8:24 AM
Thanks everyone your your help!
I am probably going to get two Triton sets from my local Woodcraft as they are on sale for $49.00 each.
Thanks again...

Craig D Peltier
06-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks everyone your your help!
I am probably going to get two Triton sets from my local Woodcraft as they are on sale for $49.00 each.
Thanks again...

Lee Valley and woodcraft has a different type of wood rack system that holds more weight. I think for what your looking for it may cost $200. I think it says it holds three hundred pounds at the tip of an 18 inch bracket.
Here it is.
http://www.woodcraft.com/search/search.aspx?query=lumber+rack

Lee Schierer
06-09-2008, 12:48 PM
I have the triton system in my shop and it has lots of wood on it. I used the Tinberlok screws instead of regular lag screws as they are considerably stronger than the average lag screw you get at the borgs these days.

Rick Levine
06-09-2008, 2:16 PM
I have a Triton rack but I'm saving it for lighter storage in my garage. I went with this system (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3931) and it has been serving me quite well as you can see from the photo. This photo was taken a few months ago; I have even more lumber on it now. Keep in mind future acquisitions so you won't have to upgrade later on.

Michael Panis
06-09-2008, 2:21 PM
There's a theme in many of the replies that I agree with: If you go with the Triton, you need 2. You can't space them by more than 4 feet without getting some sagging. Consider that as you price your options...

Larry Fox
06-09-2008, 2:35 PM
Maybe a dub question here but are you sure you need a rack? 250 is not really all that much (relatively speaking) and if you are going to be using it for a project right away (you don't say in your post) could you just stand it up in the corner and cut it as you need it? I have some 8/4 walnut racked in this way. :)

Greg McCallister
06-09-2008, 2:38 PM
Larry you are right - I do plan on using it pretty much right away and will also be storing some down in my basement shop.

tim dietz
06-09-2008, 4:37 PM
my problem with the wall mount is the pull on the wall , i had a set made that attaches to the joist on top and bolts to the floor , and a couple of bolts to keep it against the wall, it sounds like alot but if you ever dealt with bad basement walls or dont want to deal with them its worth the trouble

Rick Levine
06-09-2008, 7:17 PM
Tim,

That's why when I built my shop I added additional support between the studs. I wasn't sure what I was going to use for wood storage so I just added extra support before the walls were closed in.

Peter Quinn
06-09-2008, 7:28 PM
Hey rick, those look like my walls too! The exterior walls are 12" thick concrete, they don't seem to sag either!

As Lee noted above Timberlok (or LedgerLok depending on length) is the product name, Fasten Master is the manufacturer of some of the best structural lags I've ever seen. They go in easier than traditional lags and hold more weight at a thinner diameter than typical steel bolts. Try them, you will like them. My lumber yard sells them by the each, the box or the case, but I've seen places that only sell them in bulk.

My local borg doesn't sell them at all, too expensive.