PDA

View Full Version : Three girls, three hammers, and a Catamaran

Al Navas
06-08-2008, 9:40 AM
From my blog:

I had an opportunity today to take three of our granddaughters to one of the local home improvement stores (guess which one…), for an exciting Catamaran build. This is a free program at both orange, and blue, home improvement centers, for children of all ages...

... The local home improvement retailers all have active programs for the children year-round. It is a terrific Community activity in which more parents should enroll their children, as it will plant woodworking seeds that are likely to last a lifetime...

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/hd_done.png

You will see the rest of the article on my blog.

Some things on which I would love to hear your comments:

1. Does your local home improvement retailer have similar programs?
2. If they do, are they also free?
3. Do they have the program year-round?
4. Do they provide the kits to parents of children unable to attend in-store?

Thanks!

Bob Noles
06-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Al,

I had to make a couple of trips to the HD yesterday for a DIY project I am working on in the house. I did notice a lot of children in front of the store with the orange aprons on working on their projects. I thought that was really a wonderful event and I comented to my wife how great that will be for the 2 grandsons when they get a couple years older. I have noticed these events only during the summer months in my area, but that is not to say that I don't walk around blind to my surroundings sometimes :eek:. The program appears to be totally free the best I could tell. Sorry I could not answer more of your questions.

Those are darling granddaughters you have. Want to trade one for a boy?
:eek::D:p

Curt Harms
06-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Programs like this may not help this quarter's results so much but might well pay dividends in a couple decades. Kids that are not total incompetents when it comes to tools & DIY and (hopefully) brand loyalty in both generations.

Paul Girouard
06-08-2008, 11:30 AM
http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/hd_done.png

1. Does your local home improvement retailer have similar programs?

Yes Home Depot in my town does this, they where doing the boats yesterday in fact.

2. If they do, are they also free?

Yes I think it's free, I'm sure they depend on at least some of the parents buying something , or seeing something they will buy later. Not a classic bait and switch , but I'm sure in the long run the $$ come back to the store.

3. Do they have the program year-round?

I believe so , maybe not every weekend , but monthly I think.

4. Do they provide the kits to parents of children unable to attend in-store?

No idea.

Thanks!

Good lookin grandkids Al :cool:

John Thompson
06-08-2008, 4:02 PM
Ya da man... Al. And tell the grand-daughter on the right to save and wear those goggles to school when it starts again. Just don't tell her mother or both of us are in trouble. :)

Regards...

Sarge..

Al Navas
06-08-2008, 4:40 PM
...I thought that was really a wonderful event and I comented to my wife how great that will be for the 2 grandsons when they get a couple years older. I have noticed these events only during the summer months in my area, but that is not to say that I don't walk around blind to my surroundings sometimes :eek:. The program appears to be totally free the best I could tell....

Those are darling granddaughters you have. Want to trade one for a boy?
:eek::D:p
Thanks, Bob.

I hope your two grandsons will have a chance to attend these events - and our daughter and her husband hope the next one is healthy, too, but they yearn for a boy...;)

Programs like this may not help this quarter's results so much but might well pay dividends in a couple decades. Kids that are not total incompetents when it comes to tools & DIY and (hopefully) brand loyalty in both generations.
My thoughts precisely - maybe in a generation or less, and the payout will show itself.

Good lookin grandkids Al :cool:
Thanks, Paul! We are very proud of them. They are all home-schooled, and do great - for example, the 7-year old is already reading at 5th grade level :cool: .

Ya da man... Al. And tell the grand-daughter on the right to save and wear those goggles to school when it starts again...
Quite amazing, all of them, really. Thanks!