PDA

View Full Version : Carving spoons wet?

Steven Wilson
06-08-2008, 1:20 AM
I had to remove a Birch tree this spring and cut up some 1" slabs tonight. I thought about making some cooking utensils out of them and was wondering how to prep the slabs. I could;

1) seal the slabs and put them away for a couple of years to dry and then make the utensils (spoons, pasta forks, spatulas, etc).

2) rough cut the shapes out, seal them, pack in shavings for a few months and then finish them

3) finish carve the shapes, apply something to them, let them get funky for awhile, and then final sand and finish them later.

Your thoughts? I would like something that would minimize drying time and yet keep things from cracking.

Curt Fuller
06-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Steve, I've turned a lot of spoons, spatulas, etc. I actually like the effect of turning them from green wood, start to finish. The handles are small enough in diameter that I've never had any trouble with cracking and the business end is much easier to carve when green. And the little warpage and disfigurement you get as they dry gives them a nice handmade look and feel. I leave mine with no finish for a couple weeks and then go back and sand them a little and rub a little oil on them to pop the grain colors out.

Steven Wilson
06-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Sounds like a plan, thanks Curt

Jim Underwood
06-08-2008, 3:37 PM
OH hey wow. Another way to use green wood. Thanks for the tip Curt!