PDA

View Full Version : Rubber for cushioning tools?

Tony Sade
04-13-2004, 1:58 PM
I need to find some rubber to cushion a new DC that I'm installing on a platform that sits on ledgers lagged into the studs in a wall. Since that wall runs up the side of the house to living space, I thought I'd install some rubber both between the platform and its frame and between the platform and the DC. I remember seeing an "Ask This Old House" episode where Tommy used pieces of a truck mud flap that he found on the side of the road, but since I'm not too keen on cruising the highways in search of what I need, I'm looking for an alternative. Any ideas? Thanks,

Kent Cori
04-13-2004, 2:37 PM
Would a portion of an anti-fatigue mat work? Most of the Borgs carry these.

Richard Allen
04-13-2004, 2:42 PM
How about some motor mounts?

Ian Barley
04-13-2004, 2:47 PM
The traditional (can an object that barely existed 10 years ago be traditional?) style of mousemat material finds a home in my workshop for lighter duty versions of this type of application

Steven Wilson
04-13-2004, 2:52 PM
You might also want to look at page 1218 of the McMaster-Carr catalog (www.mcmaster.com) at the vibration damping mounts. I would hardmount the mounting brackets to the wall and then use the damping mounts for mounting the DC onto the mounting brackets. However, your best bet would be a metal stand that is on isolation mounts between the stand and the floor and then mount your DC into the stand.

Chris Padilla
04-13-2004, 4:17 PM
Added to what Steve suggested, do a search at Grainger.com for vibration hangers.

Jim Heffner
01-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Tony, I'm not exactly sure how you are attempting to isolate the noise or vibration on that DC. If it is a rubber mount type thing you are doing, why not pick up some hockey pucks drill a hole in them and bolt them under the support legs of the DC ?They are pretty hard and should last for a long time and take a good amount of wear and tear. This would be a type of isolation mount similar to a car engine mount.

Myk Rian
01-31-2009, 11:47 PM
Pick up a mud flap that fell off a semi truck.

Doug Shepard
02-01-2009, 7:03 AM
You might also want to look at page 1218 of the McMaster-Carr catalog (www.mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com)) at the vibration damping mounts....

+2. That's what I used to hang my cyclone too. They're not very expensive either.

Gene Howe
02-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Tony, I'm not exactly sure how you are attempting to isolate the noise or vibration on that DC. If it is a rubber mount type thing you are doing, why not pick up some hockey pucks drill a hole in them and bolt them under the support legs of the DC ?They are pretty hard and should last for a long time and take a good amount of wear and tear. This would be a type of isolation mount similar to a car engine mount.

The hockey puck was what I wanted to do. Finding one, let alone several, in rural Arizona is impossible. Go figure. :rolleyes: So, I got some anti-fatigue/anti-oil spill material from a hydraulic shop's left overs after a remodel. Used a 3" hole saw and made my own. The stuff is 3/4" thick. Cushions very well.

Frank Townend
02-01-2009, 10:51 AM
I have used exhaust system rubber mounts (muffler hangers) to isolate the sound caused by vibration.

http://www.subaruparts.com/catalog/subaru/ST440314S000.jpg

JohnMorgan of Lititz
02-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Not sure exactly how thick you need it, but rubber roofing is nice stuff. I've got a scrap roll of it laying around that i use for various things. Without going out to measure it, its probably around 1/16" thick, maybe a bit more. Its easy to cut with a knife to shape and do what you need.

If you're isolating or looking to dampen vibration it may not be thick enough - maybe it could be layered?