PDA

View Full Version : Edge sander belt prep?

Nathan Roelofs
03-09-2003, 10:09 PM
Ahh, my first post since BP. I have a question to pose to the edge sander owners out there--

Do you have a method or a need of prepping a new belt prior to use? I just purchased a nearly new Sunhill oscillating 6 X 108 and I ended up with a belt that would not rest flat on the platen. It was concave when viewed from the operator's perspective-- the top and the bottom of the belt were 1/4" or so off the platen when the middle was stretched taut across it. Does this sound familiar to anyone? The platen is fixed and the table would prevent it from being adjusted outward in an attempt to "tighten" it.

I finally twisted and bent the belt in the other direction along its length. The belt is now flat against the platen. It made some crackling noises as I bent it, no doubt I am compromising the life of the belt. Is this a belt issue?

Thanks in advance.
Nathan

Todd Burch
03-09-2003, 11:14 PM
Sounds like an old belt, or an improperly stored belt. Is it marked with a brand name? When belts, and sandpaper, are not stored in low humidity, they will cup on the edges. So, the problem might be that it was stored wrong.

Todd.

Nathan Roelofs
03-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Thanks Todd.

This is what I wanted to hear. We certainly aren't lacking moisture up here. This machine was a factory return and has no doubt been in many different hands during transit. I think I'll pitch this belt and start fresh. FWIW, it was marked Pacific Abrasives out of Pasco, WA.

I am guessing that I can get a much better belt than the one Sunhill provides with the machine. Klingspor comes to mind.

Thanks again.
Nathan

Todd Burch
03-10-2003, 12:40 AM
No need to pitch it. Maybe one day you've have a nasty sanding job to do, and this will be the one you can grab and not worry about ruining it.

A couple years ago, I had a bad bind & kickback on the tablesaw (wasn't hurt - but it sent the 1/2" thick plywood square (12") across the shop like a Frisbee) with a fairly new and high quality carbide blade. I could tell there was some run out afterwards, so I took it to my sharpener and he tested it for flatness. Sure enough, it had a deviation of about .008". I commented that it was ruined, and threw it in his trashcan. His eyes got real big (it was about a $75 blade) and he looked at me in amazement. I quickly realized what I had done, and grabbed it out of the trash before anyone could claim salvage rights. I still use the blade, and it still cuts good, but I don't use it on plywood for fear of tearout. That was almost a stupid move.

Todd.