PDA

View Full Version : Great Lake Castors on SC Bandsaw

Mike Watts
06-07-2008, 9:12 PM
Howdy,
I just bought a SC 18" bandsaw and wondered if anyone had mounted the Great Lake Castors directly onto the mounting holes on the base of the saw. The thing is too heavy to look under it. The picture on the Great lakes blog for these castors shows them mounted on what looks similar to a SC but it is hard to tell.
Thanks,
Mike

Jim O'Dell
06-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Several people here have them on the Mini Max MM16 and MM20's. Does the SC unit have threaded holes in the base or just drilled holes? If threaded you'll, of course, need to match the threads. If not, just something that will fit and bolt them down (nut them down??) and you should be good to go. You might ask them how long to process and ship them before you order, just so you won't be disappointed. I have a current order for some small casters I ordered last Sunday, and they haven't shipped yet. I could have installed them this weekend if I had received them, and had my outfeed table finished. Jim.

Mike Watts
06-09-2008, 7:04 PM
I think the holes are just through holes but I remember the bottom being a web pattern so I guess that is really the question. Is the flat surface on the top of the caster assembly compatible with the SC web pattern under the band saw. When I assembled it I put it on a solid surface base but do not remember what the bottom really looked like. I will probably call GL up and ask if they have put any on a SC bandsaw. Mike

Jim O'Dell
06-09-2008, 7:43 PM
There are some testimonials on the GLC website with people talking about what saws they've put them on. MM's were the most mentioned, but there were others. Rikon was one. Look at the blog button on that caster's page.
But if worse got to worse, get 4 pieces of 1/4" steel plate that would bridge the webbing and drill a hole in the middle. You'll gain an extra 1/4", but.... Jim.

Bernhard Lampert
06-09-2008, 9:41 PM
I have most my large equipment mounted on Zambus casters (up to and including a milling machine weighing in at 3600lbs). I also have some Great Lakes leveling casters. Comparing the two, Great Lakes casters are a cheaper copy of Zambus casters.
Personally, I wouldn't put a bandsaw on Great Lakes leveling casters, they have too much play and are just not tight enough to provide a stable footing.

I use Great Lakes casters for light weight stuff that doesn't have a lot weight and doesn't do any cutting.

Cheers,
Bernhard