PDA

View Full Version : bonding carbon fiber?

Ted Harris
06-07-2008, 3:14 PM
Is it okay to use titebond II on when putting a wood dowel into a carbon fiber shaft?

Jeff Hallam
06-07-2008, 3:21 PM
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? They should be able to tell you if it will bond or not.

Ted Harris
06-07-2008, 3:23 PM
It's Saturday, and I need an answer NOW!!!

John Keeton
06-07-2008, 3:33 PM
There is this http://www.billyhellrc.com/foamhesive.html , but in a pinch, I would go with epoxy, although model builders use CYANOACRYLATE to bond balsa and carbon fiber material. Calm down, everything will be OK:).

Robert LaPlaca
06-07-2008, 5:40 PM
In my radio controlled airplane days, I used to bond carbon fiber with cyanoacrylate or epoxy, it mostly depended on the area of the lamination. Carbon fiber shafts we/are commonly used in RC airplanes to control the tail surfaces.. Weight is the enemy in any airplane, especially in the tail.

Never lost an airplane err, to failed glue joint..

Jamie Buxton
06-07-2008, 8:29 PM
Titebonds don't bond very well to plastic. Carbon fiber products are actually carbon fibers in a matrix of some plastic -- kinda like fiberglass, but with carbon fibers. That is, I wouldn't expect titebond to bond to it.

Greg Magone
06-07-2008, 9:47 PM
Is it okay to use titebond II on when putting a wood dowel into a carbon fiber shaft?

As the previous poster said, I would not use Titebond II on plastic. Instead, I would recommend an epoxy that is rated to bond to plastic. Most adhesives will bond well to wood (super glue is the exception) because it is porus but many adhesives have trouble with plastic.

You'd be better off installing a pin/rivet into the shaft if your application can allow it because you'd have a good mechanical bond rather than relying on a glue that may not be rated well for plastic.

My source: I'm an engineer at Boeing where we are working very hard on getting our carbon fiber plane up in the air for the first time.

Tom Veatch
06-08-2008, 12:53 AM

Carbon fiber composites are usually carbon fiber in an epoxy or polyester matrix. At least they were the last time I had any dealings with them. Things could have changed in the last few years, but don't expect something like titebond to form a good bond. I'd use an epoxy glue.

Steve knight
06-08-2008, 1:44 AM
fiberglass resin or epoxy. superlgue would work if you sealed the wood with it first.

Jack Briggs
06-08-2008, 7:49 AM
I use carbon fibre which I epoxy into neck shafts for stiffness.

Ted Harris
06-10-2008, 5:30 PM
Thanks for your answers.:D I went with 5 minute epoxy.