PDA

View Full Version : 105 Degree Gloat

Shane Sura
06-07-2008, 3:07 PM
Well it is currently 105 degrees here in sunny Virginia and I have a small gloat to share today. I picked this up on Craigslist for $120 bucks. So far I have a large amount of WD40 into it and some good strokes with a brush and it is cleaning up nice. Need to get new blades for it but all in all I think I am happy. First jointer so if anyone has any tips/tricks etc on proper set up I would appreciate it. As always here is a (lousy) picture to prove I really do have it.

Unfortunately, it was too hot to continue to work on it. My son and I tried but just had to come inside.

Shane

tim mathis
06-07-2008, 3:35 PM
good buy.
105 degree's
stay cool

John Keeton
06-07-2008, 3:47 PM
Good buy Shane, but don't be such a wuss with the heat! They can treat those heat strokes pretty quickly nowadays, and you really don't know how tough you are until you push it to the limit. That's why I am sitting in the AC, surfin' the creek. It's only 91 deg here today, but some air moving. Man, 105 is HOT! And, it is only June. By August, you will think this was a spring day!

I'm getting ready to go to the shop for an hour or so, or until I feel my socks get wet from the sweat running down my legs!

J. Z. Guest
06-07-2008, 6:45 PM
Nice acquisition. You will be amazed at how much less frustrating woodworking is when you start with square lumber.

Have you got a planer yet? You can do an awful lot with a table saw, jointer, planer, and cordless drill. Take your time getting it set up properly, that is the key. You can probably surf or call up Delta to get the manual, if you don't have it.

Chris Neville
06-07-2008, 7:39 PM
[quote=Shane Sura;868574]Well it is currently 105 degrees here in sunny Virginia

I am in Virginia as well and spent about 3-4 hours in the shop today - building a circle cutting jig for my new Grizzly bandsaw (513X2) - and then cutting circles. The heat was oppressive... I could literally wring out my sneakers they were so wet (they just got the sweat that the hat, shirt, shorts, socks didn't hold).

I was about to write and ask the group how/if they air condition their garage shops during the summer?? The summer heat and humidity in Virginia is like a jungle - so, I have been a 3 season woodworker for the last few years (I used to live in upstate NY and had a basement where the temp was 65 degrees all year long).

I am considering buying a portable air conditioner (can't use a window unit in this neighborhood), but I'm not sure how feasible that is. Anyone have any suggestions - or should I just hang at the pool all summer?

I don't sweating - but, in this heat it literally drips off everthing... the brim of my hat was like a faucet today and my cast iron table tops do not like the sweat.

Chris

Frederick Wilt
06-07-2008, 7:55 PM
How about something like this:

http://www.acwholesalers.com/Wall-Mounted-Single-Zone-ductless-mini-splits-s/86.htm

Jim Becker
06-07-2008, 8:19 PM
Nice, Shane. Congrats! (And it's going to be 99º F here tomorrow with a 105º F Heat Index...oy!)

jerry nazard
06-07-2008, 9:22 PM
Shane, Chris, Frederick:

Evening gents! I am in Richmond and concur on your Virginia heat assessment. I have a basement shop which usually stays comfortable, but tomorrow it gets A/C. The old coal chute hatch should make a nifty perch for a small unit.

Shane, that jointer was a good buy. Last week a friend of mine picked up a late '60,s Delta-Rockwell RAS from a fellow in Petersburg for $185. There are some good buys on Craigslist in this area.

Best to you all!

-Jerry

Steve Sawyer
06-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Shane - nice catch!

Best advice I can give you is to invest in a good straightedge. I finished the restoration of a Delta 8" jointer last fall, and bit the bullet for a Veritas 50" straightedge. While I initially bought it to get my infeed and outfeed tables adjusted coplanar, there probably hasn't been a month since that I haven't used it at least once. For setting planer knives, adjusting table saw extensions, checking the alignment of glue-ups, checking freshly milled long boards for straightness. You'll not only be confident that your jointer is properly tuned up, but will have a good reference tool for any precision work.

Chris Neville
06-07-2008, 11:33 PM

http://www.acwholesalers.com/Wall-Mounted-Single-Zone-ductless-mini-splits-s/86.htm

Wow - that is perfect... I might have to invest in one of those before my next big tool purchase. Do I want the Festool Kapex or A/C...? Tough decision.

Chris

Scott Conners
06-08-2008, 5:38 AM

I install large racks of electronic equipment (custom AV/security/automation) in expensive custom homes, and on large jobs we often request one of these units inside the equipment closet to deal with the large amount of heat the equipment produces. They work very well, and we tend to push them hard, as night time doesn't reduce the heat load very much.

Keith Outten
06-08-2008, 5:50 AM
Shane,

I hear Ya.........

It was 104 here in Gloucester County yesterday with unbelievable humidity, I was hanging new shutters on my house until about 1pm and had to give it up and go inside. The temp dropped to 90 degrees about 6pm which started to feel comfortable :(

The joiner is a nice acquisition, enjoy.