PDA

View Full Version : Blow Gun

Lori Kleinberg
06-07-2008, 12:58 PM
I need to get one of these for my compressor. Remembering I am a complete noob when it comes to this compressor business :rolleyes:, what do I need to get? I know Lowes has an aisle of compressor accessories, so do I just go there and buy the gun and attach it to my compressor. In other words, do I need connectors or does that come with the gun or does it just fit on the hose :o :confused:.
Oh yeah, the compressor came with a small roll of tape(teflon, I think). What is that for?

Rob Grubbs
06-07-2008, 1:05 PM
Lori,
Most attachments do not come with a quick detach nipple that is needed to attach it to the air line. You will also need to buy one that fits your quick detach. The teflon tape is used to wrap around the treads so you get a good seal on the fitting.

Richard Wolf
06-07-2008, 1:08 PM
First, you can just connect it to the hose, the threads should match, but the best way is to use quick disconnects, male and female, so different tools can easily be changed. Put the female disconnect on the hose and the male on your tool so your compressor tank doesn't empty on every tool change.
The teflon tape goes on the threads to stop leaks, one wrap around the threads is enough.

Richard

Rich Engelhardt
06-07-2008, 2:13 PM
Hello Lori,
Go to Lowes or HD and buy a "kit".

They usually have a kit with a couple of quick connects, tire inflator and blow gun for ~ $20.00.
On you way to the register, stop in plumbing and pick up some teflon tape. It's ~ $1.00 for a roll of the good stuff.
My "kit" came with some tape that was next to useless.

Tip: make sure the quick connects are brass, not chrome plated.
Brass ones usually don't leak. The chrome plated ones usually do leak.

If there's a Harbor Freight close by, you can also check them out.
Their prices are about half of what the borg charges, for what's pretty much the same thing.

Dale Lesak
06-07-2008, 2:47 PM
Hi Lori, They make quite a few different kinds of "Blow" guns. I'll tell you what I have and why I like it and what also is out there. I have the kind that has like a pistol grip made out of plastic and has a long trigger sticking down. it has a metal tube out the front and it has a slight bend about half way down. I have about three or four of these. I like them because you can control the air better coming out the nozzle. a little squeeze and you get a small air flow pull it all the way back and you get full air flow. they make this kind with a short (8") and /or long (16 / 18") nozzle.I have both and use both about the same. They make another kind that they call a safety blower it will have a button or lever on top or bottom of the body. this one will have a large nozzle ( 3/8 to 1/2") and by the end of the nozzle there are holes on the side. In theory it sucks more air in the holes and blows it out the nozzle. More air but lower pressure. also the air flow is harder to control with the button. the lever type is a little easer but still not as controllable as the first one. then there are the ones that plug into the air hose and you have to twist the end to get air flow. auto repair (Body shop) guys like them because the fit into the pocket and alway handy when you need them. They also make ones that you can attach a hose to and shoot a liquid out the end like degrease and soaps and such. there's a lot of special ones out there too. some have interchangeable nozzles for different jobs.
Hope this helps a little Dale

David Freed
06-07-2008, 3:38 PM
When buying quick disconnects, there are 5 or 6 different styles so make sure you get the same style for all your tools. Some look very similar but will not interchange. It is simpler to buy the same brand, because different brands will sometimes have a different name for the same style. In other words, buy brand "XYZ" style "C" every time and everything will fit

Scott Conners
06-07-2008, 3:51 PM
I like to have two kinds of guns around - the long skinny plastic type like Dale describes for detail work where I need good control, and I also often keep one of the very small ones that have a pass through for the main air path,so you can keep your main tool attached and press the little button to clear wood chips away. I can't seem to find a picture, but I've found them at Napa and such - they have two threaded fittings for quick disconnects and a small button that directs the air out a small nozzle that points backward away from the tool. Great when you're making dust and need to clear it away often without disconnecting your tool.

Lori Kleinberg
06-07-2008, 5:40 PM
Thanks all:). I am on my way to Lowes to pick up the quick connect.

Dave Lehnert
06-07-2008, 9:11 PM
When buying quick disconnects, there are 5 or 6 different styles so make sure you get the same style for all your tools. Some look very similar but will not interchange. It is simpler to buy the same brand, because different brands will sometimes have a different name for the same style. In other words, buy brand "XYZ" style "C" every time and everything will fit

What he said.

I buy the ones with red tape on them. That is what I started with and stayed with. I see they have some tagged rainbow color that works with all styles but have not used them.

Greg Magone
06-07-2008, 9:53 PM
I need to get one of these for my compressor. Remembering I am a complete noob when it comes to this compressor business :rolleyes:, what do I need to get? I know Lowes has an aisle of compressor accessories, so do I just go there and buy the gun and attach it to my compressor. In other words, do I need connectors or does that come with the gun or does it just fit on the hose :o :confused:.
Oh yeah, the compressor came with a small roll of tape(teflon, I think). What is that for?

Be careful when using a "blow gun" to blow out wood chips and debris. The high velocity of the air can cause dust particles to fly everywhere, including your eyes. The direction is frequently random and the chips can (and will) fly under your eyeglasses, through your goggles, etc, etc.

In professional settings, OSHA has very strict limitations on the use of compressed air to clean equipment. Do so at your own risk and do so very carefully.

Steve Dunbar
06-08-2008, 2:15 AM
There are photos of some of the different types of air hose connectors at
http://www.coilhose.com/uploads/products/Page%2025.pdf. The industrial type is most common.