PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Driver Issue

Gregg Vaughn
06-07-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm having an issue that is either a laser issue or a Windows issue, I'm not sure which. Working on a group of plaques (burning them one at a time) my laser gets fails to accept a new print job about every 5th or 6th job. When I reboot the laser, the last couple of print jobs re-load into the laser's buffer and it will not accept a new print job.

The fix is to shut off the laser, right click the Epilog printer driver icon in Windows XP "printers and faxes", then everything does fine for the next 5 or 6 jobs. Then, the Gremlinis back again.

The mechanism of the fix leeds me to believe that this may be a Windows issue, not a Epilog driver issue. I downloaded the current driver from Epilog's web site, but the problem is still there.

I have my Helix connected through a USB rather than a Ethernet because my Ethernet is used by a wireless router. I changed the connection to the USB a month ago and have had no problems until yesterday.

Has this "Gremlin" showed up in anyone elses shop?

Pete Simmons
06-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Gregg:

I have the same problem. Mini-18, Win XP, USB Connect, Corel X3

I think the reason the last couple of files load after reboot is they are sitting in the print que and when the laser is again connected they come over.

I think ( not sure ) my problems started when I went through the Arial font missing even though it was there.

I have been meaning to switch USB ports and see if it helps but have not done that yet.

David Fairfield
06-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Same here, happens only occasionally. Easy workaround, switch off, switch back on. Running 35w Mini 24, Adobe Illustrator, windows ME.

Dave

Jim Watkins
06-07-2008, 1:39 PM
I had the same issues early on and switched to the ethernet port and have had no problems since. I would recommend trying to switch away from USB.

It fixed my problem.

Gregg Vaughn
06-08-2008, 9:41 AM
Thanks for the info ... I've contacted Epilog to inquire if they have a work-around or know of the issue. I'll let you know what they say.

Gregg Vaughn
06-09-2008, 9:46 PM
I fixed this issue today by buying a $14 eternet card at Walmart and installing the card in my computer. This gave me a 2nd ethernet port (the 1st is used by the wireless router) to connect to the Helix with.

About an 30 minutes or so to add the ethernet port, remove then re-load the Helix driver and set it up for the ethernet again.

I talked with tech support at Epilog and they suggested this work-around. Apparently the ethernet is the "suggested" connection and the USB connection is known to have some issues.

Chris Stites
06-10-2008, 2:34 PM
We use the Ethernet port without any problems. Just be sure you use a crossover Ethernet cable as a regular cable will not work. ;)