PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a used bandsaw

gaston harris
06-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Found a used bandsaw for sale and I want to have it shipped about 1000 miles. Anybody have shipping companies with good reputations/prices. Also wondering how to have the guy I'm buying the bandsaw from pack it up for shipping. It's a 20" Agazzani - should I have him ship it standing up or on it's spine. Any advice, comments would be great.
Thanks,
Gaston

James Adinaro
06-07-2008, 11:09 AM
First of all - congratulations on the new saw.

When I brought my 18" Rikon home, I had to lay it down on its spine. It wasn't my first choice, but it was taller than the enclosed trailer we had brought for the job. The saw made it home with no obvious ill-effects.

I'd like to blame the poor resaw performance on that - but I think it's really me instead.

Anyway, 1000 miles is a lot different from 5. Having seen the saw laying on it's spine, I wouldn't have shipped it 1000 miles like that. It seemed too "vulnerable". I would recommend having the seller bolt it down to a pallet, wrap it up with moving blankets and that cling wrap, and ship it upright. My $0.02.

Fedex Freight did a fine job delivering my Grizzly jointer, but that may be a function of who is driving the truck that day.

Good luck.

Mike Heidrick
06-07-2008, 12:20 PM
I asked teh same question but for only 100 miles and I was doing it myself. With the advice I got I could have moved it 1000 miles.

Make sure the people moving your saw understand the weight of the saw they have to load. I knew the weight of mine was close to 800lbs - just did not understand just how big and how much that was in such a tall machine.

Do you assume responsibility for the saw before it gets to you - not sure I would do that if otehrs are moving it and they do not have experience moving a 20" BS.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76304&highlight=bandsaw

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB2&Number=3559210&Forum=,,,,,,,,,,,,,,&Words=&Searchpage=5&Limit=75&Main=3513144&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=28045&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post3559210

Brodie Brickey
06-07-2008, 1:07 PM
I can't recommend a company specifically, but when I go to tool auctions, there are companies that basically specialize in moving used tools. I'd google for that and go from there. I'm not sure how $$ it will be though.

Jack Vines
06-07-2008, 2:30 PM
The upper wheel of a band saw is very vulnerable when being handled. If it were mine, I'd have the upper blade and wheel covers removed and packed alongside.

thnx, jack vines.

Doug Shepard
06-07-2008, 6:40 PM
According to the pic on this thread, they're shipped on the spine.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81427
Think I'd have it done the same way.

Gene O. Carpenter
06-07-2008, 7:39 PM
The upper wheel of a band saw is very vulnerable when being handled. If it were mine, I'd have the upper blade and wheel covers removed and packed alongside.

thnx, jack vines.

And I would do the same with the table and trunions!

Gene

Larry Fox
06-07-2008, 8:22 PM
I had a used MiniMax MM-16 shipped halfway across the country and I used FreightQuote and was very satisfied. For reference the shipping bill with insurance and liftgate service was about $550 - keep in mind this was about 1.5 years ago before fuel costs spiked so ymmv.

Curt Harms
06-08-2008, 9:47 AM
And I would do the same with the table and trunions!

Gene

Remove the motor too?