PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Rockler Drill Press Table?

James Adinaro
06-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi all - I ordered the drill press table from Rockler, which arrived this week. I am having trouble mounting it to the standard table on my drill press - a Delta 12". (BTW - the table seems huge on a bench top DP).

Following the instructions, I have mounted the two flanges underneath the table, and no matter how much I tighten down the hold-downs, the slightest bump moves the table, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a fence. I've tightened them down almost to the point where the flanges are ripped out of the MDF underneath the table, but no luck.

So those of you that have this table - How did you have this same problem, and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks - James

Steve Leverich
06-07-2008, 1:51 PM
I have that same table and so far it's not moved, but I'm not stressing it much either - I was NOT impressed with their 2 screw-in tee nuts tho, and if/when they slip I'll be putting FOUR tee nuts in from the TOP, recessed slightly - then with 4 hold-downs it should be pretty solid.

BTW, my table is square (floor model press) but even with a round table, using twice as many hold-downs and top mount tee nuts should be OK.

Hope this helps... Steve

Oh, also one of the routed mdf fence pieces was broken out before I even opened the box - a call to customer service and I had a new one in a couple days. Rockler has always treated me like that, so no complaints there.

Thomas Canfield
06-07-2008, 10:22 PM
James,

I have a Woodpecker table and have mounted it on first a 12" Delta benchtop and then 17" floor model using probably four (4) #14 sheet metal screws with washers. I add washers to fit the slot under the metal table to keep the screws from coming through the wood table. Try to spread the screws out to maximum spacing.

Don Bullock
06-07-2008, 10:56 PM
I have the Rockler table on my Delta 300L. Although it's rather large for the drill press, it fits fine. I didn't have any problems mounting it to the drill press table.

James Adinaro
06-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think ultimately, I will be buying a new drill press, so I'm not too eager to drill too many holes in it until I know where they need to be. Who knows, this may be an excuse to get a new drill press early... :)

I liked the idea of washers and screws that don't go all the way through. I may try that one.

Thanks!