PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing out question...

Troy Donson
06-07-2008, 7:02 AM
I found a pair of children's roller blades on clearence at Target (8.97) so I could get the wheels to start making a steady rest for my Jet 1642. Rather than toss out the "boot" portion, I looked at the carcasses for anything else I could scavange. I found that the removeable inner liners had a rather thick Velour-type fabric on one side and a heavy nylon backing on the other...

As an experiment, I cut a 3"X3" square from one liner and have been using automotive "Swirl Remover" paint polishing/buffing compound to polish a Palo Verde Bowl that I finished with Minwax Antique Oil. This compound does not seem to be too aggressive and seems to be leaving a very nice surface. The added benefit is that the heavy nylon backing of the liner keeps my fingers fairly cool as I polish on the lathe.

My question is - is this a common abrasive used for polishing or in the opinion of the more experience folks, should I use something else like, say, a pumice or rottenstone? I know about the Beall Buffing system and will be getting one as soon as I get more money freed up and after I get an order off to Vince at Wood-N-Wonders and a new Thompson Bowl Gouge and a Stronghold chuck and and and.... :rolleyes:

Will Branson
06-07-2008, 9:51 AM
I'm no expert, but on WoodWorks last night I know he was using pumice stone. Did a whole episode on rubbing out if you happen to tivoed it. Can't remember the details, didn't watch the whole thing yet. If nobody else knows, I'll post again after I watch it.

Prashun Patel
06-07-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm also no expert, but a good friend of mine uses automotive rubbing compound, followed by polishing compound. I believe this is tantamount to using pumice followed by rottenstone. It's also comparable to using 800gt spaper followed by 1000gt sandpaper.

I say use whatever floats yr boat.

I'm currently finishing a mahogany bench for my dad. I did one piece with pumice, then rstone then paste wax (actually Macguier's auto finishing wax!). I did a second pc with auto rubbing compound then polishing compound, then paste wax. Can't tell the difference.

One other thing I've found extremely useful is the microfiber towels you can get at auto part stores. I cut 5" discs and they stick to the bottom of my ROS better than hook and loop spaper. I use this for buffing the rottenstone/polishing compound and then the wax. Cheap and fantastic!