PDA

View Full Version : Compressor Advice

Greg Hines, MD
06-06-2008, 10:30 PM
It seems like lately there have been several threads about compressors. I have been looking for one, and have read several of the posts regarding size vs convenience, oiled vs oil-less, 4-6 gallon pancake vs something larger.

I am wanting to get a compressor in the next couple of weeks. Oiled seems to be the right way to go, but none of the small compressors fit that. I am also not looking for something real big, but it would be nice to be able to use a variety of tools with it, not just small nailers.

I came across this while looking through the TSC website:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_50802_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

I have heard that Campbell-Hausfeld is a good company, but do not know anyone who has their products. Does anyone have this compressor, or something similar? What about their nailer guns and such? The TSC here does not carry them, but they are listed on their website.

Portability to me is not that important. Being durable is. My biggest concern with a compressor this size is related to one of the other posts about how long it would take to compress at the beginning of the day. If I predominantly use nailers and such, would I be better off with a pancake?

What about other deals? Craftsman, Porter-Cable, Bostitch all offer the guns and compressor deal. Here is another deal that I have been looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-HL410199DP-Ultimate-Garage/dp/B000HDJHEA/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1212806364&sr=8-4

Since I have no air tools, would it be a good deal?

Doc

Steve Flavin001
06-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Campbell-Hausfeld (CH) is arguably the largest manuf. of consumer-rated air compressors under all sorts of different labels - just the paint color and label are different. To demo this, go to their web site and search the User Manuals - cryptically listed by model #, on opening at random you will see every imaginable brand label.

You state "a variety of tools." What tools? Going to run sanders, grinders, ratchets? Probably not. If so, you will need a larger tank/recovery capacity, not pressure, but capacity.

The pancake or portable (e.g. slightly larger like 2 HP or a half-dozen gallons)_ will be fine, but it will kick in fairly frequently, but not excessively. I have one of these and a large shop one. Both oiled.

"None of the small .. fit that" you write. Not so, sir. My small (Hitachi label) portable IS oil lube. Non-oil are substantially noisier and I am not at all certain of their life expectancy. Their racket alone drove me away.

Sears used to be made by De Velbiss but seem to have changed and are largely non-oil.

Questions?

Greg Hines, MD
06-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Campbell-Hausfeld (CH) is arguably the largest manuf. of consumer-rated air compressors under all sorts of different labels - just the paint color and label are different. To demo this, go to their web site and search the User Manuals - cryptically listed by model #, on opening at random you will see every imaginable brand label.

You state "a variety of tools." What tools? Going to run sanders, grinders, ratchets? Probably not. If so, you will need a larger tank/recovery capacity, not pressure, but capacity.

The pancake or portable (e.g. slightly larger like 2 HP or a half-dozen gallons will be fine, but it will kick in fairly frequently, but not excessively. I have one of these and a large shop one. Both oiled.

"None of the small .. fit that" you write. Not so, sir. My small (Hitachi label) portable IS oil lube. Non-oil are substantially noisier and I am not at all certain of their life expectancy. Their racket alone drove me away.

Sears used to be made by De Velbiss but seem to have changed and are largely non-oil.

Questions?

Initially, probably not more than nailer guns and such, but an impact wrench or ratchet could be in the near future. That is what I am wondering about. I don't want to get a too-small compressor now, just to have to upgrade it in a year or two when it cannot keep up.

As to the oiled vs oil-less, the ones that I can find are all oil-less. Any suggestions? I have heard the noise factor is impressive with the oil-less variety too.

Doc

Joe Jensen
06-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Greg, as in many things, there is no free lunch. Nailers require 100psi or less and not much CFM, so almost any compressor will support them. In my experience, imact wrenches air ratchets usually require a 175psi air supply, and for that you need a 2 stage pump. I'm not sure there are any oiless compressors that will go to 175 psi. If you are going only do small amounts with the impact wrench, nearly any 2 stage will do. The more you will pay, the more CFM you get, and the more durability. Also, some of the industrial compressors are quieter, but they are much more expensive.

Greg Hines, MD
06-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Greg, as in many things, there is no free lunch. Nailers require 100psi or less and not much CFM, so almost any compressor will support them. In my experience, imact wrenches air ratchets usually require a 175psi air supply, and for that you need a 2 stage pump. I'm not sure there are any oiless compressors that will go to 175 psi. If you are going only do small amounts with the impact wrench, nearly any 2 stage will do. The more you will pay, the more CFM you get, and the more durability. Also, some of the industrial compressors are quieter, but they are much more expensive.

The link above to Amazon has a ratchet and impact wrench included with a relatively low pressure pump.

Doc

Pat Germain
06-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Don't know if you saw my compressor thread, Greg. I recently bought a used Campbell Hausfeld compressor. It's an oil-lubed two-stage with a 220V motor and 30 gallon tank.

This compressor required a bunch of parts to include a switch, power cord and regulator. When I ordered the parts from CH, I was very impressed with their customer service. I'm pretty sure they're in Tennessee.

The compressor works very well. I pumps up to 125 PSI, or just over, in no time. It will maintain pressure with a small air grinder I have. Considering it's a two stage, I was surprised at how little noise it makes.

I haven't had the compressor long enough to provide any info about durability. However, I think good customer support goes a long way. Therefore, I'd recommend going with the CH brand.

Since portability isn't an issue for you, I think you should get the largest comressor you can afford and have room for. Be sure to check your local craigslist. I was surprised there are usually compressors for sale in my area, which typically has little or no decent used power tools.

Joe Jensen
06-07-2008, 12:10 AM
If your read the reviews you will see that buyers did not have a good experience.

This source is well respected for compressors. Here is a link to their selection guide.

http://www2.northerntool.com/aircompressors.htm

Billy Dodd
06-07-2008, 2:01 AM
I have a couple compressors. I have an Ingersol Rand I bought 20 plus years ago. The only problem I've had with it is the last couple years I've had to replace a pulley on the motor. I think you couldn't go wrong with 1 of those and I believe tsc sells them.

The oilless compressors are a nono if you want to use it very much. They build up heat and that kills them. My Dad has bought 2 of these 1 being from sears and the other was a different brand I don't remember which right now but neither 1 is working now.

As for the size you don't need one that will go 175psi as most tools don't need that much. But as the tools you were referring to on amazon probably doesn't have much strength. What you want in a compressor is cfm's. Tsc sells some good compressoors that have fair cfm's. I lost my notes from when I was shopping around and the different one's that they had and the price but I know that my local TSC had a good deal on an upright single stage ingersol rand that I almost bought.

I just bought within the last couple months a Puma Single stage air compressor and am very happy with it. It has 20 cfm's at 40 psi and 18 cfm's at 90 psi 6.5 hp motor and 60 gallon tank. It is relatively quiet compared to my other compressor and it doesn't kick in very often. This one has 3 cylinders which they say helps fill up with air faster. Maximum pressure is 150 psi and it's rated to due everything except 1" impact and just occasional use of 3/4" impact wrench. Hope this helps.

Don Eddard
06-07-2008, 5:55 AM
...In my experience, imact wrenches air ratchets usually require a 175psi air supply, and for that you need a 2 stage pump. I'm not sure there are any oiless compressors that will go to 175 psi. If you are going only do small amounts with the impact wrench, nearly any 2 stage will do. The more you will pay, the more CFM you get, and the more durability. Also, some of the industrial compressors are quieter, but they are much more expensive.
You're right about two stage compressors putting out 175 PSI, but pretty much all the air tools I've seen or read about are spec'ed out at 90 PSI, so having 175 PSI has nothing to do with it. It's all about the CFM. If a single stage compressor can output the necessary CFM, then it'll do fine. In fact, you'll notice some single stage compressors have higher CFM at 90 PSI than a two stage with a comparable motor.

Not saying the two stage is bad. It will pack more air into the tank, and will run less often because of it. But then again, it'll make the air hotter, and accumulate more moisture.

Jacob Reverb
06-07-2008, 7:13 AM
Doc -

If you don't need a lot of CFM capacity, and you want a cast iron pump and oiled rings (and a hose and 17-piece accy kit all for $130), I saw in the Father's Day flier in my mail that Craftsman has a pretty good sale on right now. See:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916638000P?vName=Automotive&cName=Tools&Equipment&sName=Air%20Compressors%20&%20Inflators&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

Luther Oswalt
06-07-2008, 8:50 AM
Greg - This site has a lot of very good advice about air compressors ... these are good folks: http://www.tptools.com/
Leo

Greg Hines, MD
06-08-2008, 9:10 PM
Does anyone know anything about Senco nail guns? Are they any good?

Doc

Tom Veatch
06-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Doc, I have no personal experience except with one wide crown stapler that I picked up used at a local auction and which had a leaky piston. It was easily repaired. My neighbor, a carpenter by trade, has and uses several Senco brand nailers of various sizes and configurations and which I have occasionally borrowed. I'm pleased with the the performance of my stapler, and with that of those I've borrowed. Since my neighbor makes his living with them, I'd guess they have to be acceptable quality and performance at the very least. It has been my impression that the Senco brand is one of the industry standards.

Here is a link (http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Senco_Sfn40_Finishing_Nailer)to some product reviews of one specific nailer in their product line. A Google for "Senco review" might find one for the specific nailer you might be interested in.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Doc,

I have a air compressor built by C-H. It's an okay compressor. I've had it for about 4 years. I'm a hobbiest so it doesn't get heavy duty. Mine has a 26 gallon tank, 3 hp motor single stage. It is okay.

There are other, better compressors out there.

IR makes great compressors...and there are other brands that make great compressors. Like eveything though, the better ones are more expensive.

Get acompressor that requires oil. Oil-less compressors are generally noisier and wear out faster. That has been the general comments here at the Creek.

I have a Senco finish nailer. It has been great! I bought one of the Pro models...a little more expensive.

Dan Lautner
06-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Look at the Thomas T-200ST or the T-2820ST. These are rock solid, quiet compressors made in America. They are expensive but worth it.

Dan

Gary Lee
06-08-2008, 11:19 PM
If you want a unit that will last, go for a Rol-Air. I have one that is approx 18 yrs old and has used and abused beyond belief. At one point,( my gas Emglo burned in a house I was building that was caused by arson..kids...gotta love em..) I used this compressor for framing and roofing with anywhere from 2 to 6 nailers running off of it. Some points it ran for hours nonstop when nailing floor sheeting. This is an oiled unit and is still available. I use it now as a spare and have only had to replace the head gasket just last year. I believe it is in the price range of $300. It is a pancake style.

I found one on Tool Barn;
http://www.toolbarn.com/product/rolair/D2002HPV5/

Steve Flavin001
06-08-2008, 11:38 PM
a little qualifiaction is in order. Comments have been made about high end requirments for air tools - yes if in the commercial 8- hr. use like a tire shop, but as sveral have said, most any good sized cokpressor will meet your requirement for home use. I suspect any air tool would run short duration, and yes the compressor would run a lot to keep up with that but home use should be acceptable. Also, not being recognized here, is the fact that air tools in the home environment are inherently pretty noisy at best and I think you will have a tendancy to shy away from them in reasonably short time and go back to other standards before the neighbors speak to you about it.

SENCO nailers and staplers - I was buying another one today - Senco is the industry benchmark, used in auto assembly (uphostery etc.) and other demands for constant reliability.

You asked again about finding an oiled one - yes, as mentioned, oiless are to put it bluntly, noiser than hell. But oiled are easy to find,just look around the store or catalog. But most are made by C-H regardless of the label.

Greg Hines, MD
06-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Thanks to all opinions. I have decided on a 17 gallon CH from TSC, and HD has a 3-pack of Senco nailers now, and between those and a basic kit, that should keep me busy for a while.

Doc

Rick Potter
06-09-2008, 3:53 AM
If you need nail guns and a compressor, HD has the Porter Cable pancake compressor alond with three nail guns for, I think, $299. Just saw a stack of them today. The are good quality and for what you are talking about, I think they will be just what you need.

Senco guns are about as good as you can get. Most are oil free. I have a stapler and an slp 20 18 ga. That's the one Norm uses so much. I also have a couple PC guns which are good quality, but not quite the same. Note that Senco also makes a consumer line of lesser quality. I forget what they call them.

Rick Potter

Pat Turner
06-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Pick you up a good rubber hose (I like the USA made goodyear from harbor freight ironically), and a coiled hose (polyurathane if you can find it, not from HF) for the smaller tools. Get a water seperator (available from HD, I get mine from Mcmaster) I just have a male and female QC on mine, but you could plumb it in. Buy a few spare quick connects, tire chuck and blow gun.

Make sure to get an assortment of nails in advance. Unless you got a framing nailer, they are pretty resonable. I've got a senco brad nailer and love it (feel and performance)