PDA

View Full Version : Porter-Cable PC121 Spindle Sander and Woodpeck OS Sander Plate

Louis Rucci
06-06-2008, 9:00 PM
I'd like an opinion from anyone owning the Porter-Cable PC121 Spindle Sander.

Didn't know about this tool until I received my WoodPeck email.

Is this sander a good product and would having the plate be a good investment?

Thanks.

glenn bradley
06-06-2008, 9:22 PM
They are a de facto standard for many folks but at over $250 and then the cost of the plate, I would consider a benchtop OS.

Michael Lutz
06-07-2008, 8:11 AM
I have a 121 spindle sander. I got it instead of a bench top spindle sander. I don't or haven't used it very often. Its largest spindle is 2", if you want larger you need a differennt shop. I choose it because you could use it by hand for sanding large objects or in the router table for smaller objects. I bought a blank phenolic plate to mount it on. The aluminum plate from woodpeckers is offered for sale about once a year and is not a stock item.

Mike

Jim McFarland
06-09-2008, 12:54 PM
I have PC 121 and Jet JBOS-5. I actually find dust collection better with the PC 121 in router "table" (which is just a CI table saw extension with a router insert -- shrouded under table for dust collection). I have the Bench Dog version so just drilled a Lexan (or whatever Lee Valley sells) plate to fit the 121. I haven't used the Jet since I put the 121 in the router "table." I really should sell the Jet but I cringe when I think about shipping costs. The Jet does have a tilting table but I've used that maybe twice in 3 years -- doubt I would miss it (yeah, right, I'd probably find a use the day after I sold it!).

Chris Padilla
06-09-2008, 2:47 PM
I have the PC 121 as well as the Woodpeck AL plate. It doesn't get used a ton but it is handy for sanding curves when I need it and the fact that it can plop into my router table is a bonus: no floor or bench model to take up space. Also the fact that I can use it handheld is also nice. It takes some practice to get handy sanding with it smoothly but I think worth the price.

Cary Swoveland
06-09-2008, 11:00 PM
I think most PC 121 sales are to carpenters who use them handheld, especially for edge-sanding countertops, and for that use it is excellent. It's OK in a router table, but is probably not the best value if you do not use it handheld.

I bought one that I had planned to use both handheld and in a router table, but I've found I rarely use it handheld. Considering also that I can no longer use it in my router table (I recently enlarged the router plate opening for Bench Dog's Pro-Lift), I'll probably replace the 121 with a benchtop OSS, like Ridgid's combo OSS/belt sander.

I use my PC 121 with an aluminum plate that Rockler sells for it. I bought that plate because I had previously bought Rockler's aluminum plate for my router (same size). The trouble with Rockler's plate for the 121 is that it is sized for the largest (2" diameter) sleeve, so there is inadequate material support with the smaller-diameter sleeves. The WoodPeck unit is much better (but pricier), as it includes a set of snap-in rings for different sleeve diameters.

Cary

Chris Padilla
06-10-2008, 11:44 AM
I actually like using in my router table quite a bit because I can use the fence to help control the sanding and use it as a flush trim sander or even jointer.

Louis Rucci
06-10-2008, 11:02 PM
I want to thank all of you who responed to my inquire. Lots of great information to digest before I make a spindle sander decision.

Again,

Many thanks