PDA

View Full Version : Appreciation and 3 phase motor swap question

Dwain Lambrigger
06-06-2008, 7:14 PM
All,

I have been sending post after post (at least it feels like that) over the last few months regarding my search for a new table saw. I wanted to state that I appreciate all of the feedback that I have received. I am still on the search, but believe I have found what I want.

Seller on CL has a mid 90's unisaw (S/N 01F38218 CAT Number 34-806) that has a 5HP motor and seems in really great shape, but it is three phase. Seller has no way to start the saw in it's current condition. I looked the saw over, checked for square on the blade with my drafting square (but not runout obviously) and look all over the inside of the cabinet. No cracks or damage. Tilt works smoothly, but can be improved with some lubrication. I was thinking it would be easier to install a new single phase 5 HP or 3 HP motor.

1) What would be the value of a used 5hp 3ph motor?

2) Motor in the saw runs at 4000 rpm. Would a single phase 5hp motor at 3450 rpm be the best replacement? I know I would lose something, but it couldn't be too much.

3) I have looked on the bay for a new motor. Are there any other places to try? Again, I would like a really nice (if not new) replacement motor

4) What kind of effort is involved with swapping the motor? I would try some of the other solutions, but I think the motor swap would be easiest, and would retain most of the original power.

5) What would you do to protect yourself by purchasing a saw that doesn't run under current power? I was thinking of writing something in the receipt, however, I know it's "buyer beware.

Seller will take $500 for the saw if I bring a new motor. I think it is a SMOKING deal, but not being very mechanical, I want to make sure I can easily swap out the motors.

Thanks,

Dwain

David DeCristoforo
06-06-2008, 7:25 PM
The biggest "problem" with uni motors is that they are "specially bracketed" so you can't just buy a generic 3 or 5 hp motor and swap it out. New ones go for several hundred bucks (as much as $430-450 for a 3HP) so unless you can find a good used one, that's going to eat up a chunk of whatever you are saving on a used saw. Also, it's not just the motor...you have to swap out the starter/switch as well. So, you are already looking at over a grand for your used saw. I think you need to keep looking.

BTW, actually swapping the motor is very simple as long as you don't drop it on your foot (or hand).

Chris Padilla
06-06-2008, 7:55 PM
Looking at it from another perspective, what would be the cost to get a phase converter of some kind?

Steven Hardy
06-06-2008, 10:03 PM
All,

I have been sending post after post (at least it feels like that) over the last few months regarding my search for a new table saw. I wanted to state that I appreciate all of the feedback that I have received. I am still on the search, but believe I have found what I want.

Seller on CL has a mid 90's unisaw (S/N 01F38218 CAT Number 34-806) that has a 5HP motor and seems in really great shape, but it is three phase. Seller has no way to start the saw in it's current condition. I looked the saw over, checked for square on the blade with my drafting square (but not runout obviously) and look all over the inside of the cabinet. No cracks or damage. Tilt works smoothly, but can be improved with some lubrication. I was thinking it would be easier to install a new single phase 5 HP or 3 HP motor.

1) What would be the value of a used 5hp 3ph motor?

2) Motor in the saw runs at 4000 rpm. Would a single phase 5hp motor at 3450 rpm be the best replacement? I know I would lose something, but it couldn't be too much.

3) I have looked on the bay for a new motor. Are there any other places to try? Again, I would like a really nice (if not new) replacement motor

4) What kind of effort is involved with swapping the motor? I would try some of the other solutions, but I think the motor swap would be easiest, and would retain most of the original power.

5) What would you do to protect yourself by purchasing a saw that doesn't run under current power? I was thinking of writing something in the receipt, however, I know it's "buyer beware.

Seller will take $500 for the saw if I bring a new motor. I think it is a SMOKING deal, but not being very mechanical, I want to make sure I can easily swap out the motors.

Thanks,

Dwain
Check here for a deal on motors...
http://www.plazamachinery.com/index.html

Rick Lizek
06-07-2008, 5:43 AM
Used to work at a dealer as an independent tech on Delta and other equipment. I see no issues. I'd put a VFD from www.factorymation.com. That will take care of your switch and motor issues at a better cost than replacement. Call the tech support to choose the proper one.

I wouldn't bother with trying to write something in the bill of sale about the three phase issue. If I was the seller I'd decline selling it to you. That's why you can get good deals on three phase machines. It's the folks who don't understand all the phase converter options who lose out on good deals. On bigger machines you can save 10 cents on the dollar or more. I've gotten $10,000 dollar machines for $500 to $2,000 because of the three phase factor and the cost of moving factor.

David Freed
06-07-2008, 6:56 AM
I have a 20 hp rpc from here and won't hesitate to buy another as I get more 3 ph equipment. At the present time I have 32 hp in 3 ph equipment, but not all running at the same time.

http://www.americanrotary.com/

Jack Briggs
06-07-2008, 7:10 AM
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=130-877&gclid=CNKnjY2Z4pMCFQQmGgodjx_bWg

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/woodwork_motors.htm

http://www.bizrate.com/powertools/products__keyword--unisaw+replacement+electric+motor+leeson.html