PDA

View Full Version : Cost of the Vortex

Steve Schlumpf
06-06-2008, 5:24 PM
Jet 1642 2 hp lathe…………………………..$1800

Homemade Vacuum Chuck System…... $200

Florescent Sunlight Bulb…………..…………...$5

Having the equipment to help out a friend finish off some of his bowls…..

PRICELESS

90202 90203

This is my neighbor, Bob Hainstock, putting the finish touches on a couple of his bowls. Never realized how hard it is to center a bowl after the bottom had been finished. Took a few tries but Bob managed to get the job done!

As always – comments, critiques or suggestions - especially on Bob's turning are welcome but should be directed to him!!

Thanks for looking! ;)

curtis rosche
06-06-2008, 5:27 PM
dont forget the price of tools, abrasives, grinder, electricity, finish, dna, wood, blood, emergecy room, facesheild......ect

Pete Jordan
06-06-2008, 5:45 PM
You are a great neighbor, Steve!

Bill Bolen
06-06-2008, 5:53 PM
and a good friend this gentleman has too!! I'm SURE you know your price list is waaaaaaaaaaay too short! Bill...

Clara Koss
06-06-2008, 6:02 PM
you're a good neighbor...cute guy that bob....:o

Jim Becker
06-06-2008, 7:58 PM
Of course, now that Bob has used your rig and enjoyed your sexy carpet...he's gonna want to invest in his own similar setup! :D Yup...the vortex is like that...

(Great job mentoring, Steve and great job, turning, Bob!)

Bernie Weishapl
06-06-2008, 8:08 PM
Looks like you had fun Steve and that is priceless.

Tony De Masi
06-06-2008, 8:39 PM
Way to step in and help someone out Steve. But Bob, even though you were turning at 322 rpm's, where is your face shield:eek:

Tony

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-06-2008, 9:21 PM
Actually, no "turning" was being done!:D:confused::confused::p

Do you see that Carpet under the lathe? Not a spot os chips on it.:D:D:D

Bruce;)

Jim Evans
06-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Actually, no "turning" was being done!:D:confused::confused::p

Do you see that Carpet under the lathe? Not a spot os chips on it.:D:D:D

Bruce;)

That's a magic carpet

Bruce Pennell
06-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Ya Steve, friends and family and priceless moments make it all worth the money. Mine came from my 16 year old Granddaughter, when she asked me if she could keep my 2nd bowl. Priceless and well worth all the money in the world. What a smile she had on her face, I'll never forget that moment.

Greg Just
06-06-2008, 11:22 PM
How do you keep the shop so clean?

David Newson
06-07-2008, 4:13 AM
You are one heck of a neighbour and a spotless workshop to boot,my only comment Steve you could have painted your vacuum chucking system white to match your lathe, joke apart I did actually paint my copy of your system white because I used MDF which I had in stock, and it reflects the available light from a window better for me.

Steve Schlumpf
06-07-2008, 9:56 AM
Thanks for all the comments everyone - I had hoped everyone would get a kick out of the thread!

I consider myself very lucky to have a neighbor like Bob and we get together fairly often and talk about turning, tools and the other important things in life!

As for the clean shop issue - I have been roughing out a lot of bowls and hollow forms lately and as everyone knows those shavings can pile up real quick. I usually haul a 35 gallon trash container full of shavings out of the shop each day but wait until I can't stand it anymore before seriously cleaning the shop. Just so happens that I cleaned the shop the night before Bob came over - had to make a good impression on him!

David - as far as painting the vac system - I consider myself a natural 'plywood' kind of guy and won't paint anything unless I am absolutely told to by SWMBO!

Glenn Hodges
06-07-2008, 3:37 PM
You had me believing every word until I saw the floor in the shop. Not a speck of dust and not one shaving which leaves me highly suspect about the whole thing, ha ha.

robert hainstock
06-07-2008, 7:28 PM
Thanks again for the loan of the tools, ath space, and the juice. Also for your invaluable friendship.
Bob

robert hainstock
06-07-2008, 8:26 PM
I concur hartily with your diagnosis Pete.
Bob

robert hainstock
06-07-2008, 8:29 PM
You're are so right Jim. The only thing stopping me is poor health, money, energy, and the fact that Steve is right next door.
Bob

robert hainstock
06-07-2008, 8:32 PM
Glenn, check out my post this evening.
Bob