PDA

View Full Version : Another warm and fuzy daughter anecdote...

Jim Becker
06-06-2008, 5:18 PM
In a week and a half, our older daughter, Nastia, will be passing out of 6th grade and is headed to 7th grade (yikes!) in the fall. For various reasons, she needs some special services at school and that means she will be attending a different middle school than she would normally for where we live. A few weeks ago, she and another girl attended a big orientation day at the new school, but it was somewhat overwhelming to her with all the kids she had never seen before milling about, etc. (The Jazz Band concert was outstanding, however...Professor Dr. SWMBO and I also attended this event)

At any rate, Professor Dr. SWMBO and I attended a "transition" IEP meeting yesterday afternoon at the new school to meet some of the folks who will be working with Nastia next year. It was a very productive meeting and we all agreed that it would be a good idea for DD to have another, lower-key exposure to the school before actually having to show up there next September. Sooner rather than later was the rule since this school will be getting extensive renovation over the summer and the normal free access in August will not be available.

So this morning, Professor Dr. SWMBO and she left early for a visit and private tour before she had to be at her current elementary school for class. Time well spent and definitely a successful meeting for her under more low-key circumstances. Which brings me to the relevant anecdote after all this background...

During the tour, Nastia was very reticent to "stick her head" in the various classrooms she would be utilizing next fall...classes were in session and I guess she just didn't want to be noticed. I can appreciate that knowing how many kids are with change, etc. Incredibly, however, when they got to the woodshop, which she WILL be taking for one quarter next year ;) ...she literally walked right into the room and engaged with the students working on their projects. Gotta love it... :D :D :D

Ken Fitzgerald
06-06-2008, 5:31 PM
She obviously felt "at home" in the woodshop Dad! Congrats! .....and a job well done!

Brian Weick
06-06-2008, 5:43 PM
~ your seeing the results of your effort and interest in your daughter as a good father Jim~ My hat goes off to you and to your daughter~ It's great when you see them take interest in something they enjoy and you had something to do with that, well, probably in this case ~ a lot. Looks like she may be teaching you some things some day ??? :rolleyes:
Sincerely,
Brian

Matt Meiser
06-06-2008, 5:47 PM
I guess familiarity is key, huh?

So is she going to be allowed to do homework in your shop?

Greg Peterson
06-06-2008, 5:49 PM
That's what you call early Fathers Day present.

Clara Koss
06-06-2008, 6:07 PM
i always love it when kids and parents do hobbies together...sooner or later in life that togetherness and the knowledge pay off...and i am so glad you gave her a chance to see the school again...you are very AWARE parents...keep up the good work...:p

Dave Anderson NH
06-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Uh Jim. What are you going to do when the time comes that you want to use HER tablesaw, bandsaw, and planer? You know, the ones that are out there in HER shop.:)

Brad Schmid
06-06-2008, 11:04 PM
How COOL is that:cool:
Definitely gotta love it!

Peter Stahl
06-07-2008, 7:33 AM
That's great Jim! Jr. High is a big step, I remember how scary it was. She has a great support team (you and the Dr.), don't think she'll have that big a transition period. Wood shop was one thing that made going to school back then a lot easier.

Dennis Peacock
06-07-2008, 6:20 PM
Most EXCELLENT Jim!!!!! Hug Nastia for me and let her know that I said it will all be ok. ;)

Jim Becker
06-07-2008, 7:37 PM
I'll tell her a hug is coming on your next visit, Dennis... ;) But you'll have to wear your special "Prince in shining armor" overalls for the Princesses to gain an official audience. :D

Reed Wells
06-07-2008, 8:30 PM
Oh Man!, Ya gotta love it Pop. Two thumbs up!

Mike Wilkins
06-09-2008, 10:09 AM
You and the Mrs. are doing the right thing in easing them into the new school and surroundings. Kids sometimes don't let Mom or Dad know what is going on in their heads, so keep up the interaction as much as possible.
My girls went through 3 school systems in less than 12 months, so I know got to see first-hand what they went through. Jobs and relocation by the parents sometimes affect the little ones more than we think.
Keep up the good work and relish the hugs on Fathers Day.

Jim Becker
06-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Mike, it's more complicated with Nastia as compared to most kids given her background. Our kids were adopted from Russia (http://a-j-adopt.blogspot.com)three years ago and she has some other diagnosis including PTSD that make it critical to insure she is comfortable and feels safe in her new school. Her IEP not only addresses the academic needs, but also the emotional and social needs that need to be met. Once the school district got things moving, it's been pretty incredible about the level of detail. One example is that they feel it's important that she stays with the same kids for the rest of her education, so they have commited the resources to do that...things like transportation since meeting that need means she not be going to our 'home' schools. (Our daughters will actually graduate from two different high schools...which compete against each other! LOL)

Belinda Barfield
06-09-2008, 10:49 AM
It's great that she has such confindence in her shop abilities. Obviously that is the one place she didn't feel intimidated by others. You have given her a very precious gift in sharing your time and knowldge with her. I'll bet she'll be showing the class a thing or two next year!

jeremy levine
06-09-2008, 11:35 AM
....Incredibly, however, when they got to the woodshop, which she WILL be taking for one quarter next year ;) ...she literally walked right into the room and engaged with the students working on their projects. Gotta love it... :D :D :D

"Daddy can I get the new I-phone and a pink Saw Stop contractor saw ":)

curtis rosche
06-12-2008, 6:31 PM
if they go into a woodshop and like it or feel at home, you have done your job well.

Jim Becker
06-12-2008, 6:54 PM
"Daddy can I get the new I-phone and a pink Saw Stop contractor saw ":)

You are having evil thoughts my friend. I might let her use the FireFly phone I just got off the 'Bay, but I doubt she'll be asking for a table saw...thankfully. On the other hand, she want's to do roller coasters at Dorney Park and a Nintendo DS with "just a math game" for her birthday...I'm not sure which is worse. Hmmm...do they make a SawStop in pink? LOL