PDA

View Full Version : Sources for MDO or Phenolic Ply

Chris Neville
06-06-2008, 2:54 PM
I know that this has been visited before... but, I am looking for a place that will handle small shipments (1 or 2 sheets) at a reasonable price - as opposed to the outrageous Woodcraft prices.

Looking for a supplier of either:

MDO - the stuff Norm uses for jigs and such

Phenolic Ply - typically Baltic Birch with a phenolic resin outer layer (either 1 or 2 sided).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

Jim Becker
06-06-2008, 2:59 PM
MDO should be available through your local full service lumber yard. Mine stocks it. It's a big material for sign makers.

Kyle Kraft
06-06-2008, 3:02 PM
Menards carries the MDO in 1/2" and 3/4". I've used a fair amount for jigs-n-stuff.

Matt Meiser
06-06-2008, 3:38 PM
Ken Craft Company (http://www.kencraftcompany.com/) in Toledo, OH has 5/8" phenolic. I think they'll ship quarter sheets.

Julian Wong
06-06-2008, 4:28 PM
Chris, if you have a Whitecap around your area, they usually stock phenolic ply. A 4 x 8 sheet runs about $60 IIRC.

Chris Neville
06-06-2008, 8:57 PM
Thanks guys,

I have searched high and low in the Richmond area for months and could not come up with a supplier... and today I type the words that Jim used into Google, (ie. "full service lumber yard" + Richmond) and got exactly what I needed.

I have been searching for the product &/or the product supplier with terrible results... "MDO supplier", "MDO sheet", "phenolic plywood supplier"...

Picked up my MDO today.

Thanks

Chris

Stephen Edwards
06-06-2008, 11:33 PM
What is MDO? I'm not familiar with that product.

Thanks,

james gerus
06-07-2008, 7:51 AM
Medium density outdoor, It is MDF for outdoor applications. Jim

Stephen Edwards
06-07-2008, 8:06 AM

James,

Thanks for the info and definition of MDO! This forum is great for my "continuing education".

Kind Regards,

Mac Cambra
06-07-2008, 8:48 AM
I thought it was "medium density overlay", it is a plywood core with a paintable MDF outer surface, right?

Jim Becker
06-07-2008, 8:54 AM

No, MDO is Medium Density Overlay. It's exterior rated plywood covered by a paper and resin coating. It's not a composite like MDF. You'll see it most visibly employed in large road signs....

There is an exterior rated MDF, however...Medex is one brand. A lot harder to find than the regular interior-only/dry-only MDF.

Chris Neville
06-07-2008, 7:52 PM
No, MDO is Medium Density Overlay. It's exterior rated plywood covered by a paper and resin coating. It's not a composite like MDF. You'll see it most visibly employed in large road signs....

There is an exterior rated MDF, however...Medex is one brand. A lot harder to find than the regular interior-only/dry-only MDF.

Jim is correct. As an aside, it is the type of ply board that Norm uses to build many of the jigs that he uses on New Yankee Workshop.

Chris Neville

Wayne Cannon
06-08-2008, 3:07 PM
"Medium Density Overlay" -- a good outdoor plywood with an impregnated kraft surface on both sides. It has a very flat, smooth, and weather resistant surface that is commonly used for painted outdoor signs and concrete forms, among other applications. I used an unfinished piece for a temporary gate for about three years, and when I replaced it, it was still flat and looked like new (except for grayed edges), whereas ACX exterior plywood weathers significantly and tends to warp.

Robert Parrish
06-08-2008, 3:15 PM
Ken Craft Company (http://www.kencraftcompany.com/) in Toledo, OH has 5/8" phenolic. I think they'll ship quarter sheets.

Ken Craft plywood is only coated on one side and is Brown!