PDA

View Full Version : finally...first and second finished bowls

Terry Achey
06-06-2008, 2:45 PM
Well, after much anguish and ALOT of "learning moments" (A.K.A. mistakes) I finally finished a cherry bowl and a red oak bowl. Cherry is about 9" by 5" and the red oak is about 5" by 2".

I finished the cherry with 400 and minwax antique and the oak with Watco Danish. Both buffed with Beall and carnuaba wax.

Without getting into all the mistakes such as bowls flying off the lathe, pith at the wrong location, clear epoxy in the cherry crack.... I will mention that I used a friction chuck ( as taught by Bill Grumbine) on the oak bowl and must have used too light of a pressure because it apparently was slipping and burned a deep and hard black spot on the center of the bowl. I used a piece of deer skin leather I had laying around on the top of the friction chuck. Might have not produced enough friction :( So, I drilled the center and turned a peg with a tenon and instead of a bowl I made a ring and jewelry holder.

Whew....It was alot of fun, but I sure hope I can learn to do alot better on my next pieces. :o

Sorry... guess I'll have to post twice to get both bowls attached.

Terry Achey
06-06-2008, 2:49 PM
here's the cherry bowl..... oh yeah, photos aren't very good, but I really must take baby steps :D

As always comments and suggestion are more than welcome. After all...You folks have been my on-line training program!

robert hainstock
06-06-2008, 3:08 PM
the first one is whatI call 'save a bowl" when I do it. We do what we have to do. Yhe cherry some will say has too much foot. details like that will take care of themselves with time. Both are comendable projecets for early works. Keep making chips. :):)
Bob

Judy Kingery
06-06-2008, 3:14 PM
Hey Terry,
Nice job! Yep, I think we all have some of those from time to time, the last one I shot through I glued a base on and it matched ok, an ok save. Your Cherry, I really like the foot as it's unusual. Due to my chuck or the way I do bowls, my foot's generally smaller, but I really like how you understated a wide foot and I think it looks really sharp! Way to go! Jude

Steve Schlumpf
06-06-2008, 5:04 PM
Nice work Terry! Really like the form on your bowl - especially the slanted rim! Really nice work!

Bill Bolen
06-06-2008, 5:56 PM
Nice job on both Terry! I really like the lip on the oak bowl...Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
06-06-2008, 8:11 PM
Great job on both Terry. All those things will come with time and experience. Keep it up. It will get easier.

Bruce Pennell
06-06-2008, 8:32 PM
Terry great job on the bowls. Great save also, just saved a large winged pine bowl the other day, ended up with a nice pine bowl (a lot smaller and with no wings) after I put some cherry stain on the bowl (blotch city). The end grain on the wings soaked in the stain, so a design judgement call was made. The bowl lost the wings, got a lot thinner, but no one ever knew until now. Great save, it happens to all of us.....Bruce

Terry Achey
06-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Thank you all for the encouragement. I'll keep the foot size in mind next time, too. Regardless of the occassional frustration, I do find turning to be both relaxing and intriguing.

Now, if I can just get my "real" work out of the way I'll soon get started on finishing another set of roughed out cherry and red oak bowls. :)

David Newson
06-07-2008, 3:58 AM
Great job Terry - Real nice set of bowls, what I have found works really well for friction chucking is a piece router matting folded over several times,and fitted directly over the chuck and tailstock brought up with no slipping at all, using light cuts only, the matting is also used in the boating world to stop things sliding about, give it try I was amazed the first time I tried it on a re-turned bowl with wax polish on as well.