PDA

View Full Version : Toothbrush for Glue

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-06-2008, 2:20 PM
Why didn't I think of this obvious solution before?

I have searched long and wide for a relatively easy cheap sturdy cleanable way to spread glue.

So far the finger reigned supreme. I have acid brushes but after a short while in rinse water soak they rust up. I've tried paint brushes but they go limp and when I stub 'em off to try to keep 'em stiff they get gunked up fast.

Today I grabbed the only thing handy 'cause I didn't want my pinkie all slobbery. It was a used toothbrush. I think I'm converted~!!

It's accurate, leaves no bristles behind, spreads very evenly without over or under application issues and is eminently cleanable. I can shape the handle with heat, drill it for a nail hook and soak it till the cows come home and it'll always be just a relatively clean toothbrush.

Prashun Patel
06-06-2008, 2:23 PM
I'm partial to old, flexible putty knives and credit cards. Easier to clean and spread large surfaces.

I used to use a toothbrush, but I found it gunked up the bristles too much and made subsequent brushing of my teeth difficult. ;)

Howard Acheson
06-06-2008, 3:19 PM
I used to use a toothbrush, but I found it gunked up the bristles too much and made subsequent brushing of my teeth difficult. ;)

Yeah but it holds my dentures in just fine.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-06-2008, 3:23 PM

YA gotta brush yer teeth right away while the glue is still liquid.

Greg Hines, MD
06-06-2008, 3:25 PM
I use acid brushes and just throw them away when they start to decay, usually after a couple of uses. I also use a ton of fake credit cards to spread glue with.

Doc

Chris Padilla
06-06-2008, 3:27 PM
I use them for cleaning my TS blades and router bits and also for cleaning up joints with glue squeeze-out, when appropriate. There's a mandate at my house that all worn out toothbrushes are brought to Daddy. :)

Jay Jolliffe
06-06-2008, 3:35 PM
For flat surfaces I use a wallpaper seam roller. Rolls out the glue nice & even. If it's not flat I use acid brushes. I once used one of my wife's artist brushes brushed out nice a smooth but boy was she pissed. I guess sable brushed aren't for glue.:o

Prashun Patel
06-06-2008, 4:03 PM
There's a mandate at my house that all worn out toothbrushes are brought to Daddy. :)

I got similar mandates on scrubbing pads, plastic fastfood containers, yogurt containers (the big ones that still have lids), peanutbutter jars, old shirts.....Wood/shop working has made me a good recycler!

Lee Koepke
06-06-2008, 4:07 PM
For flat surfaces I use a wallpaper seam roller. Rolls out the glue nice & even. If it's not flat I use acid brushes. I once used one of my wife's artist brushes brushed out nice a smooth but boy was she pissed. I guess sable brushed aren't for glue.:o
i found a bag of 'artist' brushes at Big Lots for about a buck ...it had like 10 or so different sizes.

Dave Anderson NH
06-06-2008, 4:19 PM
My cheap and easy solution comes delivered to my door about 3 times per week by a uniformed representative of the US gov'mint.:D I'm sure each of you get plenty of offers for credit cards, auto insurance, and other things that include either a coated paper or a plastic dummy credit card. These are ideal for glue spreading and they are disposable too. Occasionally if I want a heavier coating of glue I'll take one of these cards and use my wife's pinking shears to put a sawtooth edge along one or more sides.

I have glue spreaderes from a dozen banks, American Express, Geico, Allstate, and all kinds of other sources. I save the platinum cards for the really high end jobs.:D

Richard M. Wolfe
06-06-2008, 4:35 PM
For 3/4" material, the ol' reliable finger works fine. Haven't worn one out yet. Wipe finger on shop pants, chunk pants in washer on hot/warm setting and when they come out the original Titebond is gone. For wider surfaces I use thin width scraps and rips and try to use a light touch.

Doug Rogers
06-08-2008, 12:51 PM
I use the plastic glue spreaders from Woodcraft. There are 4 or 5 in a pack. They are cheap and the glue peels of after it is dry.

Doug Rogers

Reed Wells
06-08-2008, 5:19 PM
Many of you know I build rustic furniture for a living. My tops finish out at 7/4 Pine. I still glue by hand, so I found for thick boards that an old, stiff, shaving mug brush works great. It is easy to keep clean and at flea markets you can pick them up for about 50 cents.