PDA

View Full Version : Patching a plastic laminate countertop

marshall mourar
06-06-2008, 1:14 PM
I'd like to replace just a portion of the laminate on my countertop, where it's been damaged. There's a seam running diagonally from a back corner, forward to a front inside corner. I'd like to pull up the laminate, up to this seam. Has anyone had luck removing laminate (maybe using a hairdryer?). Once the old laminate is off, how would I cut the new sheet to achieve a good fit along the old seam? (a laminate trimmer won't work along this one edge.) Thanks for any ideas on this.

Matt Ocel
06-09-2008, 6:03 PM
Ya got pictures??

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-09-2008, 6:22 PM
A hair dryer might not be anywhere near adequate to attack weldwood.
A heat gun might but you'd need to be fast.

Then of course you'd have to get down to the the surface of the original substrate without digging it up.
Anything more or less will create inconsistencies in the height of r the patch.

However, it may be a losing battle any how a'Kaus the thickness of the old laminate may likely not be the same as the new.

marshall mourar
06-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the input. Sounds like trying to piece in some new laminate is not a good idea, because of the three potential problems you mention.

I guess I'll have to consider replacing the entire countertop. Thanks though.

Dale Lesak
06-11-2008, 1:15 PM
I've removed a lot of old HPL. A heat gun is a must. A torch (Propane) is too much and a fire hazard. I have a wedge on a long handle 24" overall, heat the laminate until you can get a puddly knife under it and slowly pry up. a little at a time. change over to the bigger pry bar when you have enough room. it's slow going but it'll come up, out of all the way's I've trued this works the best. you didn't say if you had a back splash or not. most square BS are put on after the top is in so it's on top of the Counter.