PDA

View Full Version : Wow--McMaster Carr

Matt Meiser
06-06-2008, 11:00 AM
So last night after work I went out and pulled the bearings off the cutterhead for the jointer I bought and decided on a couple other things I needed to order like a pulley and some knobs. Came inside, found everything at McMaster Carr and placed an order about 5:30. The page said "Ships Today" to which I thought "yeah right".

Checked the status of my order this morning, clicked the UPS tracking link, and saw "Out for Delivery" :eek: I think I'll be using them more often.

Douglas Brummett
06-06-2008, 11:08 AM
McMaster has one of the fastest shipping systems I have ever come across. Usually there is no need to pay for next day delivery if you are by one of their distribution locations.

They also have some great selection, but you do have to watch prices on some items as they are 2-4x e-tail market price.

Doug Shepard
06-06-2008, 11:11 AM
They usually manage to get around 50% of them to me like that on the next day, and the other make it in 2 days. Either way it's still great service.

Jerome Hanby
06-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Same here, I ordered some 60 degree v cutters for my threading project and got the shipped notice a few hours later. Stuff was inexpensive too! I bought 3 different length cutters for less than $13 including shipping!

Phil Sanders
06-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Matt:

I agree they are a great place to do business.

However, I have read elsewhere that McMaster-Carr has significantly reduced the number of customers who are allowed to use Purchase Orders. McMaster-Carr seems to want Credit Cards and WEB purchases more often than not.

General Credit crunch everywhere, as I understand it. Not many places can let their customers have free 30 or 45 days loans for their purchases.

Steve knight
06-06-2008, 12:03 PM
MSC is also the same too. though you have more of a choice of brands with them.
somethings can be way overpriced though like tools and such.

Ray Gardiner
06-06-2008, 12:18 PM
I placed an order with McMaster Carr a few weeks back, paid by credit card
only to be told by email, sorry owing to US export documentation requirements
they refused to ship to Australia. --- and cancelled my order !

I later got what I was after from victornet.com, they didn't seem to
have a problem with shipping.

Jim O'Dell
06-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Matt, most companies like that get a late pick up, like 6:30 to 7:00 and sometimes a little later, so as long as they can physically get it packaged in time, it goes out that day. All the orders I've placed with MC get here in 3 business days. All have been shipped out of Atlanta, I'm sure the closest whse to me. Always packed well and merchandise exactly as shown online. Jim.

Tom Walz
06-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Grainger has 24 hour service in that they will send someone to open up the warehouse if you need part in the middle of the night. Don't mean to take anything away from McMaster. Like them as well. Just thought I'd add it.

Tom

Chuck Saunders
06-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Not to mention that McMaster only charges actual shipping

Doug Shepard
06-06-2008, 1:30 PM
Not to mention that McMaster only charges actual shipping

And their corporate discounted rates as well, not what you or I would be charged if we were shipping it.

Matt Meiser
06-06-2008, 3:48 PM
The prices for the items I ordered were very reasonable. It would have been about 50% more from Grainger.

It hasn't shown up yet--UPS is running late today. If they don't get here soon, its going to have taken longer to go the last 10 miles than the whole rest of the process! :D

Prashun Patel
06-06-2008, 4:00 PM
The best thing about the Mcmaster Carr is their website. I LOVE the way the search works.

Jon Crowley
06-06-2008, 4:04 PM
I'm a big fan of them for oddball hardware. They have a shipping facility in Ohio, so I get everything the next day also. It's great!

Dave Lehnert
06-06-2008, 5:46 PM
Not to through a wrench into thing. I deal with UPS at work. You have not got your package yet.

Bruce Page
06-06-2008, 6:05 PM
I've been using them for years at work. They are very responsive.

Peter Quinn
06-06-2008, 6:06 PM
I love Master Carr for their great search engine. Best web site I've seen especially considering the sheer number of items they stock. Lots of other vendors could learn a thing or two from studying their setup. And here on the east coast they ship so quick you would think they were at the end of the street and had their own courier!

I got shims for an Amana sash set a while back, Amana wanted $1.23 per shim (metric sizes) plus the stupidest large shipping charge I've seen in a while for something so small, McMaster had kits with hundreds of shims for a couple of bucks and shipping was minimal. Just one of many items I've gotten there.

MSC isn't too shabby either, though their web site is a labyrinth I'd prefer not entering, and since my son started using the 'Big Book' as a step stool to see out the window I've been going with Master Carr exclusively for parts and such.:D

Matt Meiser
06-06-2008, 7:08 PM
Well, it took 1 hour longer to get it that last 10 miles than all the way to that point. But it was plenty quick overall.

Mitchell Andrus
06-06-2008, 7:35 PM
I've gotten SAME DAY delivery. No kidding - ordered at 9:30 am, delivered by 3:00 pm in one of their own trucks. I asked the driver... he said thay were delivering in the next town anyway, so.......

Louis Rucci
06-06-2008, 9:46 PM
I order the new Skil Lithium Ion Power Cutter, Model 2352-01 from http://www.skilshop.com last Wednesday and it was on my door step that Friday.

It was also on sale so I saved some money. Anyone interested in this product, now is the time to get one.

Wish it was available to trim my garden shed roof shingles this past March. :p

Peter Stahl
06-07-2008, 10:26 AM
They were our preferred vendor at one and yes they are extremely fast. Almost as if they put it in the mail before you ordered it. UPS must have people at the warehouse waiting to move stuff out. We still use McMaster-Carr when we can and if we need it in a hurry.

Matt Meiser
06-09-2008, 10:10 AM
I got my invoice from them. $5 for shipping on top of the extremely fast service. Can't complain about that one bit!

Jerome Hanby
06-09-2008, 10:59 AM
I finally found one little thing to complain about. When they sent me the shipping confirmation they gave me everything I could possibly want, except a tracking number. Pretty small and insignificant as complaints go...

Pat Turner
06-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Matt, most companies like that get a late pick up, like 6:30 to 7:00 and sometimes a little later, so as long as they can physically get it packaged in time, it goes out that day. All the orders I've placed with MC get here in 3 business days. All have been shipped out of Atlanta, I'm sure the closest whse to me. Always packed well and merchandise exactly as shown online. Jim.

Pickup? You have never been to mcmaster. That have dedicated trucks for major UPS hubs. The miami truck leaves Mcmaster and drives straight to miami. There is another one to TX. I've seen at least 8 dedicated trucks. I assume the last trucks go by the local hub (a few miles away) and top off, but I don't know. And there may be more didicated trucks in other areas of the building.

I can call at 5:50 pm and have it next day.

If you are ever in atlanta, order a box of screws for will call, just to see their operation.

Dick Strauss
06-09-2008, 1:55 PM
Matt,
I'm glad you had a great experience with McMasters! It's good to hear about good experiences as well.

I had that same great service from Enco. I guess they shipped my stuff from Indiana because it was delivered the day after I placed the order. Not only that but the prices were great and the gal that took my order was outstanding!

Hartville Tools is another company that still believes in great customer service as well!

BOB OLINGER
06-09-2008, 2:00 PM
I'd agree with previous comments. Orders from MC get to us faster than any other supplier.