PDA

View Full Version : Premix thinset = tool of the devil

Jon Crowley
06-06-2008, 10:08 AM
A couple years ago, I tiled a large portion of my basement, and last week I decided to do the remaining approx 150 square feet as well. So while I was out buying thinset, I saw you could buy it premixed. Nifty. That'll save some time... so I bought that instead of the regular old power like I always use.

Well, the stuff should not have the word thinset on it period. After laying down most of the tile (except ones that required cuts) I got distracted by life and did not get a chance to come back to it for a few days. Well, I walked on it, and heard <squish... crack!> :mad: So I lifted up the broken tile, and found that it cures to a goo that resembles play dough. After a few internet searches, I confirmed this stuff was worthless. This so called premixed "thinset" is basically mastic with a bit of sand added. I was NOT happy.

This was not acceptable, so I decided to do the right thing and tear it up and redo it with the correct portland cement based thinset. I read the premix couldn't stand up to water, so I put one mop bucket of water on the floor, and the stuff literally disentegrated. Like it's made of dirt and turned to mud. :eek: The stuff is SO weak it only took about 2 hours to remove everything from the floor and backs of the tiles without damaging a single tile. I was scraping it off with a freaking drywall knife, and cleaned the residue off the floor with just a mop and water. :eek:

This stuff is just useless goop. Seriously, it reminds me of play dough the way it stays soft and clumps when I scraped it. While a PITA, it was a learning experience.. and at least I caught it before I put the grout in. That would have been a real mess. How can they even SELL this stuff??!? You obviously can't use it for a floor, I suppose you could use it for a wall that would NEVER get wet... but every wall I've ever seen tiled has been in a bathroom, kitchen, etc... wet places.

So long story short, NEVER EVER EVER buy "premixed thinset".

Mitchell Andrus
06-06-2008, 10:38 AM
I go back far enough to remember some of the great products that are now off the market. EPA and all.... so many products nowadays are literally junk in a bucket.

Now, I never use anything I haven't tested myself in my own real-world situation.

Michael Weber
06-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I do a little tile work on my own houses from time to time and have considered getting the pre-mixed stuff. glad to know it's not good stuff. I'll be curious to see if others have experienced good results.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-06-2008, 12:28 PM
I read the premix couldn't stand up to water, so I put one mop bucket of water on the floor, and the stuff literally disentegrated. Like it's made of dirt and turned to mud. :eek: The stuff is SO weak it only took about 2 hours to remove everything from the floor and backs of the tiles without damaging a single tile. I was scraping it off with a freaking drywall knife, and cleaned the residue off the floor with just a mop and water. :eek:

This stuff is just useless goop.

Yup, yup, and yup.

But then what can one expect when the manufacturers are prohibited from making anything that can catch fire or be poisonous to rats in dosages lower than 10 pounds of substance to 1 pound of rat.

Write your reps. If you don't you know full well that the PACs and special interests will be the only vioices they hear.