PDA

View Full Version : New to Turning

Mark J Bachler
06-06-2008, 9:52 AM
I,ve been around the creek for quite a while but I'm new to this end. I just picked up a W&H 12 x 48 lathe at a garage sale for $200. Now I need a good book on turning. Any suggestions??

Ken Fitzgerald
06-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Mark the book I like best on turning is by Keith Rowley...."Woodturning - A Foundation Course". It is well written and illustrated and aimed at the beginning turner. Videos....anything by Richard Raffan and for bowls "Turned Bowls Made Easy" by Bill Grumbine.

Welcome to the Vortex!

Dick Latshaw
06-06-2008, 10:06 AM
What Ken said.

Welcome.

Jim Becker
06-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Welcome to "the vortex", Mark! In addition to the advise already given, see if there is a local AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) chapter reasonably near you and start attending the meetings. It's a good way to get some mentoring, see techniques demonstrated and so forth.

Steve Schlumpf
06-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Mark - Welcome to this side of the Creek! Be warned - this is called the vortex for a vaild reason - never enough tools, wood or money! Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing some of your first turnings!

Bernie Weishapl
06-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Mark welcome to the vortex of turning. Ditto what was said by the others. Some good solid advice. Steve said it best though. Never enough tools, wood or money!:eek::D

Cyril Griesbach
06-06-2008, 3:23 PM
Mark,

What Jim said about seeking out an AAW chapter is a suggestion I wish I'd been given years ago. I could have saved lots of time, money and agravation...and my turning would have improved much faster.

Here are some suggestions for Northern Wisconsin as well as my local chapter Northeast Wisconsin Woodturners.

Lake Superior Woodturners
Meetings

Meeting Location:
H&H Exports
Duluth, MN

Meeting Info: 2nd Wednesday of each month
Contact Information

Terry Hallback
144 Ketola Road
Cloquet, MN 55720
Phone: 218-879-5048
Email: dthallb@msn.com (dthallb@msn.com)
General Information

Number of Members: 37
Service Info: Northeastern Minnesota and northwestern Wisconson
Northwood Turners
Web Site: northwoodturners.com (http://www.northwoodturners.com/) Meetings

Meeting Location:
Ed Mejerie Shop, 8691 Nicks Dr.
Minocqua, WI

Meeting Info: 3rd Wednesday
Contact Information

Dale Peterson
8247 Lost Lake Dr W
St Germain, WI 54558
Phone: 715-542-2012
Email: muskypete@frontiernet.net (muskypete@frontiernet.net)
General Information

Number of Members: 35
Service Info: North Central WI
Northeast Wisconsin Woodturners
Meetings

Meeting Location:
Boys' & Girls' Brigade
Neenah, WI

Meeting Info: 2nd Saturday
Contact Information

Greg Kulibert
2903 Sheldon Dr
Oshkosh, WI 54904
Phone: 920-235-6707
Email: kulibert@charter.net (kulibert@charter.net)
General Information

Number of Members: 77
Service Info: northeast Wisconsin

If any of these don't work well for you go to the AAW web site and search for local chapters. There are some in Minnesota that also serve several Wisconsin Counties

Cyril

Mike Peace
06-06-2008, 6:58 PM
Nice looking lathe. Welcome to the vortex.

You might want to consider cutting off some of that plywood table. It looks like it would be handy but I think that you may find it getting in your way.

Bob Hallowell
06-06-2008, 7:38 PM
Welcome, Nice looking lathe but I agree with Mile cut down the plywood as it will be in the way. You have to have your body close to the lathe for most things.

Bob

Bruce Pennell
06-06-2008, 7:39 PM
Welcome Mark to SMC, can't wait to see some chips on your lathe. Ken and everyone gave you some great advice....Welcome...Bruce

Richard Madison
06-06-2008, 10:56 PM
And one more thing, Mark. Might want to move the belt to the slowest speed to start out. That would be the smallest pulley on the motor and the largest one on the lathe spindle.