View Full Version : ambrosia part 2

Chris Rolke
04-12-2004, 10:10 PM
http://rolke.dyndns.org/ftp/woodbowls/maple/041204/DSC01026web.jpg

http://rolke.dyndns.org/ftp/woodbowls/maple/041204/DSC01021web.jpg

ambrosia maple finished with briwax

Jim Becker
04-13-2004, 8:47 AM
Lovely piece, (Edit:) Chris. I really like ambrosia maple as it makes for even more "personality" with each object you create.

Chris Padilla
04-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Nice...very nice! I'm curious, is there any difference between spalted and ambrosia maple? They seem to be synonyms.

Jim Becker
04-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Nice...very nice! I'm curious, is there any difference between spalted and ambrosia maple? They seem to be synonyms.
They are very different things...but you could have both in the same chunk of wood. Spalting is a decay process. The color and texture variations are there through the changes that the wood goes through as bacteria and fungus "process" it. The further along it is, the more it affects the structure of the wood. The black lines common in spalted material are something called Calcite...and it will wear your tool edge very quickly. Folks who turn a lot of spalted material will tell you that sharpening is an even more frequent thing! Care must be taken when sanding spalted material...even though the fungus, etc., is dormant once the moisture content drops below a certain point, you don't want to introduce that stuff to your lungs.

There are some arguements about how ambrosia maple comes about, but many folks seem to accept that it's caused by insects introducing certain fungus or chemicals into their burrows, etc. However it's really caused, it's striking in turnings and in panels for flat work!

Byron Trantham
04-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Curt, this is a very nice piece. Very elegant. :)

Chris Rolke
04-13-2004, 7:59 PM
not to be a smart a$$ but who is curt?

Jim Becker
04-13-2004, 9:46 PM
not to be a smart a$$ but who is curt?
I made the same mistake in my original reply. My Bad! Byron probably had my reply in mind. Sorry.

Chris Rolke
04-13-2004, 11:05 PM
no problem just wanting to make sure i wasnt loosing my mind :)

Jim Becker
04-13-2004, 11:10 PM
Don't knock it...I lost mine a long time ago and look where it got me...hee hee