PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Scoop: ROUGH

Greg Ketell
06-06-2008, 1:10 AM
Ok, this is only the 3rd non-pen item I have turned and it was planned as a "rough draft" to learn from so I used redwood because it is soft and easy to turn and finished it with several baths of mineral oil (I actually thought it would be a throw-away when I was done with it but my wife wants to keep it).

Things I learned:
1) Making a jamb chuck is a lot harder than it seems.
2) A good jamb chuck is a must for this type of item.
3) Redwood doesn't work well in a jamb chuck because it is so soft it dents.
4) Redwood is so soft that it dents/cracks as the item flies out of the early/bad jamb chucks.
5) Mineral oil sucks as a finish.
6) I need to work (a lot) on turning round beads/balls.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=90170&stc=1&d=1212728931

Critique would be greatly appreciated. And suggestions on what wood would be good/safe to use for food utensils. Redwood is kinda iffy according to a list of toxic woods I've seen.

GK

Paul Douglass
06-06-2008, 8:33 AM
Got to tell you it looks good from here!. I have just got to stop makeing pebs long enough to try some of those. Nice job.

Steve Schlumpf
06-06-2008, 8:58 AM
Greg - that's a nice looking scoop! Lots of different hardwoods you can use for scoops. Suggest cherry or maple as they are easy to turn, hold details well and age gracefully. Have fun with it - looking forward to seeing some more real soon!

robert hainstock
06-06-2008, 9:00 AM
No thanks, the best wood to make food handling utensils from is maple. Whatever wood you use, should be CLOSED grain. Birch might work, but it too may be too soft.
I alawys try to go to edit mode before I finish submitting a reply as my fingers are too big to avoid mistrikes. Pen and Peb ar4e but a 1/4in separate on my keyboard. that's a nice little project for an early turning though. :)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
06-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Looks good to me. Learning is half the fun of turning.

Clara Koss
06-06-2008, 6:27 PM
i like the style....love it!!!! when you get the wood that's best for food your scoops will be lovely... keep turning....

Bruce Pennell
06-06-2008, 7:42 PM
Greg the funs in the learning....it's great. Keep trying new things.

Greg Ketell
06-06-2008, 7:48 PM
Greg the funs in the learning....it's great. Keep trying new things.

You can count on that. My signature on other boards has me as the "Permanent Penturning Newbie" because I try different things regularly and never do the same thing for very long. I guess I need to update that to "Permanent Turning Newbie". :D

GK

Richard Madison
06-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Good looking scoop, Gary! Much nicer than my first one, recently posted.