PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Vs. Celtics

Greg Peterson
06-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Game one was pretty good. The teams are evenly matched. Officiating looked like it was pretty fair overall. As usual, with the ability to review plays there were a couple of calls that may have been questionable, but both teams got some breaks.

Even though I'm a Blazer fan, or maybe because, I'm rooting for the Celtics. I admire, respect and am amazed at KG's drive, hustle and effort. The man gives 110%. He is fun to watch.

And the whole PR stuff they're using to repackage Kobe is just blowing smoke up the skirt. Kobe is the same guy. Winning cures alot of ails. I'm not buying this new Kobe they're peddling.

Celtics in six.

Craig D Peltier
06-06-2008, 12:47 AM
I hope Green takes it. Its been too long.

Steven Wilson
06-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Although I want KG to get a championship I still can't stand the Celtics - go Lakers, in 6

JohnT Fitzgerald
06-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Celts fan here - love the Green. Saw a great pic last night in a local pub - actually, 2 pics in the same frame. One was of Bird McHale and Parish next to each other on the court talking strategy. The other picture was of KG, Pierce, and Ray Allen in almost the exact same setting. Nice.

I am impressed at how well the teams match up, although the Lakers' offense still scares me. Gasol can really play (what a steal that trade was!!), and Kobe is a great player (although I think comparing him to MJ is a complete farce). I agree with the comment on the officiating - some calls here and there that were iffy, but both teams fared well from them and overall a well officiated game.

Game 2 isn't till Sunday????? The Networks wield far too much power in the scheduling...

Greg Peterson
06-06-2008, 1:32 PM
Looks like it's going to be a very memorable series.

Kobe has a long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same breathe as MJ. Kobe's good, possibly even great (Great - a word whose value has been diminished by its common usage to describe above average players, IMO). But I'd rather have Larry, Magic or MJ on my team. They led by example, demanded the best from everyone and knew how to get every players best.

In that respect, I think KG embodies that demand for excellence and leadership by example more than Kobe. Example: KG jumping into the backcourt to save an errant pass. Sheer determination.

Mike Wilkins
06-06-2008, 2:25 PM
Agree the 1st game was a good one, with both teams getting breaks from the guys with the whistles. I was a Lakers fan back in the Jabar/Magic/Worthy days, but not now. I agree KB is talented player, but the comparisons with MJ should just go away. He is not in the same universe with Michael, especially in the PR category.
So I am pulling for the Celtics; this year. Celts in 5.

Chris Padilla
06-06-2008, 3:18 PM
I basically hate both teams but the BoSox had the WS...they don't need another championship out there. Lakers in 7.

Greg Peterson
06-06-2008, 3:35 PM
Chris, I can see you pulling for Nellie's (former Celtic to boot) Warriors and maybe even the Kings. But LA?

I was at the Celtics game when they played the Blazers this year. They toyed with my team in the first half, then just completely dismantled them in the second half. Aside from that game, I've always rooted for the Celtics.

Back when the original Dream Team was qualifying for the Olympics, I attended several games and was able to watch those stars play together in person. Way better than an All Star game. In the final game, with about two minutes left the crowd started chanting 'Larry, Larry, Larry....". He'd been basically laying on his stomach for most of the game (his back was pretty bad by then). He got up, took off his warmups and checked in at the next dead ball. That was the last time Larry played professional basketball in America. It was pretty darn cool to be there.

JohnT Fitzgerald
06-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Mike, you were close - Celts in 6 in a total blowout!!

Neal Clayton
06-18-2008, 10:42 AM
i guess pau gasol wasn't the lakers' savior after all ;).

Lee DeRaud
06-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Back in the fall, if you had asked people which was more likely:
1. Lakers and Celtics both miss the playoffs or
2. Lakers and Celtics end up in the finals,
which way do you think the vote would have gone?

A $10 bet on proposition #2 would likely have netted enough to buy a Sawstop. Pretty amazing year, all things considered.

(Although I'm already getting tired of pious twits claiming that the Boston win was some kind of karmic payback for the fact that Kobe isn't Mother Teresa.)

Greg Peterson
06-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Game six was the exclamation point for the Celtics season.

The Celtics have always been one of my favorite teams, behind my Blazers of course. Don't mind seeing the Lakers lose. And their fans are just as bad as the fair weather Cowboys fans. Never see or hear 'em until they're in the hunt.

Congrats to the Celtics.

Chris Padilla
06-18-2008, 1:12 PM
Greg,

I am originally from Colorado and I'm a dyed in the wool Colorado sport's fan and I always will be: Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets, and the Avalanche. It has been interesting these last 10 years being in the Bay Area: so close to the hated Raiders, the Giants, the Warriors, the Sharks. But, at least I can see my teams when they come into town to play.

Maybe you now understand why I pulled for the Lakers even though it pained me so. However, I LOVED the shellac'ing Boston put on the Lakers to win it; it was an embarrasment.