PDA

View Full Version : Help with Delta Unisaw

James Sweeney
06-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Hey guys, just thought I would throw this out there. I recently traded my dewalt portable saw for a used Delta Unisaw. I am looking for advise on:

A. getting it tuned up, ie what steps to go through before using it. It has been in storage for a couple years in a shed that was not climate controlled. Has some rust, but I am told it runs perfect. I have yet to plug it in and try it. Wondering if there is anything I need to do before trying to fire it up.

B. It did not come with any table extensions and I want to try to purchase some. I have all the model information from the tag, but when I check their site, it's kind of tough to find any information. Looking for information on getting the manual for it and any other items I may be forgetting.

If anyone has any advise I am open to it. thanks for reading.

Also, I did not forget the pics.

Dewey Torres
06-06-2008, 1:17 AM
I just bought a Unisaw. Man the top does look bad right now. That is where I would start if I were you.

When you go to buy wings, keep in mind you can buy them with built in accessories... example: a cast iron one with a router insert.

From the looks of it you may want to check out your belts before you fire it up. I would also look into a mobile base.

You can type "Delta Unisaw Manual (model number)" into a search engine and dig around for a PDF file for your saw.

Hope this helps.
Dewey

Lance Norris
06-06-2008, 6:04 AM
James... post your model number here and then we can help you with parts and owners manuals. You can get parts at servicenet or the sawcenter

Jeff Duncan
06-06-2008, 10:08 AM
I think the wings are universal for Delta, I know I swapped wings form my 54' Unisaw to my 02' shaper and they're the same. However....make sure you need both wings before you buy them. Often aftermarket accessories
will have you removing them anyway. For instance I have a extended table on the right side of my saw and a sliding table on the left, so no wings.
Just a thought anyway.
good luck,
JeffD

Jim Becker
06-06-2008, 11:01 AM
On the wings, you may be able to use cast iron wings from other vendors including the value brands as many cabinet saws are the exact same size as the Uni. You might also consider using the Bench Dog Cast Iron Router Table Wing on the left side as that appears to be a right-tilt saw if I'm viewing the pictures accurately. It will add versatility to your shop since you need/want to buy the wings anyway.

James Sweeney
06-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Wow, as usual, great responses and good information from a great bunch of guys. As I have said before, "I love this site". I really appreciate the helpfull comments guys. THanks for the search tips, I will try those this weekend. I was hoping to find deal on ebay possibly for some used wings, or I may get just one to start with. I do have a relatively small basement shop. I know, I probably should have kept my small dewalt contractor saw with my small shop, but I just could resist a cabinet saw for a strait up trade, even if it does need some work. Here is some more information from the tag on the saw:

10" tilting arbor saw
right tilt
no- 83-654
model - T63BZF-1157
date code - E299B

Dewey, as far as the belts go, to me they look ok, but I can't really tell what a worn belt looks like, unless it's real obvious. seems like a cheap thing to replace, so maybe I should just replace them regardless.

I have read that this saw has not really changed much in the past 30 years or so, and that parts are pretty much universal for these. but I still don't want to buy something like an extension wing and have to return it since I imagine shipping might be high.

For the extensions with options I think that is a good idea. I already have a dedicated router table though and I really like it, but I will look at what other type of options there are.

again, thanks a lot for all the information and I will try looking up some information on the saw this weekend. Possibly start cleaning up the top too. I hope to post a nice after photo of the top.

Jim Becker
06-06-2008, 12:52 PM
If you can swing the cost of the router wing, it would give you a second station which can be downright handy sometimes in my experience.

Some parts from current generation of the UniSaw may be different because of point of manufacture, etc. For example, many of the current machines have a plastic motor cover. But you really shouldn't have a parts availability problem for that machine in my view.

Personally, I'd replace the belts; either with a matched set of standard belts or if you are comfortable with it, the link belts. Neither way is terribly expensive and you'll want to remove the existing belts anyway just to deal with the thorough reconditioning of "the innards" that will be a good idea.

Mike Wilkins
06-06-2008, 2:09 PM
Just my 2 cents. After cleaning up the rust and dust, I would get a new, matching set of belts and check the wiring for any dry rot.
Like others have said, consider the Bench Dog cast wing/router for the left side of the saw. Then just build a right side table to match the rip fence rail length out of Melamine or laminate covered MDF.
Great find and great saw.

James Sweeney
06-06-2008, 7:46 PM
againk thanks for the advise. Jim, not sure why I would need 2 rounter tables, but I am an amatuer still, so maybe I will understand later. I only have the 2 routers right now and one is always in my router table, one is free for dovetails and other routing without the table. I do agree with the thinking for the future though. Nice to have the option if it's not too much more cost. I will look at it. Jim, you are scaring me with the "thorough reconditioning of "the innards" comment. I didn't realize it was going to be such a project. I knew I would have to clean up the top obviously, and any other rust spots I can find inside and out, but I guess that's why I made this post, to find out what other steps might be recommended. Is there an existing thread I may have missed that goes through those steps. Hate to make people repeat themselves.

Once again thanks.

Jim Becker
06-06-2008, 8:05 PM
James, my reconditioning statement largely revolves around thoroughly cleaning and inspecting the arbor assembly as part of getting the machine ready...sorry to make it seem like more. No better time to do that kind of thing than "now"...

James Sweeney
06-06-2008, 8:09 PM
wow Jim, are you on line all the time? just kidding. I appreciate the advise, that is the kind of things I am looking for, I want to make sure it's "gone through" properly before firing it up. I just feel over my head sometimes. I am no engineer. I do however enjoy taking something beat up and ugly and making it "like new" again. thanks again.

Steven Hardy
06-06-2008, 9:59 PM
I recently went thru a similar process as you with a similar year saw. This guy here in Vermont is a good scource for parts and supplies.(belts,arbors,etc) He does not do too much in the way of e-money but his prices are pretty reasonable.
http://www.plazamachinery.com/index.html

Lance Norris
06-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Well... servicenet wasnt any help with your model number. The sawcenter will be able to help, but things are usually cheaper through servicenet. Here is a link to the sawcenter. You will have to call them for parts that arent listed:

http://www.sawcenter.com/unisawparts.htm

James Sweeney
06-06-2008, 10:23 PM
thanks a lot guys!!!!! I also tried service.net but google came up with a lot of sites, and I got bored looking. I did look like sawcenter had a lot of stuff. I still can't find out what year my saw is even though I have the year code. just can't find out how to convert it. oh well. thanks again, and I will be updating this post with progress (don't hold your breath though) will probably take a while.

Harold Simpson
06-07-2008, 11:50 PM
James,

I just rebuilt a unisaw to replace my old contractor saw. I have an extended fence and table on the right side. You can have the extension wing I took off. PM me to work out the shipping details.

James Sweeney
07-01-2008, 11:09 PM
That would be great Herold! Let me know if you still want to do that. I sent you a private message.

Greg Crawford
07-02-2008, 8:37 AM
Woodworkers Supply ( woodworker.com ) sells new Unisaw wings. Pretty pricey though. I bought my Unisaw with only a left wing. The extension table does the job on the right. It sacrifices some mass, but as well as the saw works, I don't think that extra weight would make any difference.

Every now and then, a Unisaw wing comes up on Ebay.

Harold Simpson
07-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Email sent.