PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw wheel mistake. Need advice.

Ben Fleis
06-05-2008, 10:43 PM
I was just tuning my 14" jet bandsaw, and when removing the bottom wheel (for the 2nd time, sadly), the "key" slid inward instead of staying put.

Basically, the lower wheel is on an axle that runs through the back of the base. The other side of this axle connects via pulley to the motor, and drive the whole thing. The saw wheel and the belt puck (?) each lock into place by a small 2mm x 2mm key between the it and the axle.

As far as I can guess, my key is probably in the cast iron well that contains the axle. If my guess is correct, it's harmless in there since it's on the bottom, but who knows. If I knew how to remove the bearing on one side, or the puck/axle on the other, I might be able to retrieve it, instead of finding a replacement.

Any advice? I'd rather use my tool then wait a couple days to have a tiny sliver of metal shipped to me. Unfortunately, I can't take any pictures until tomorrow when my wife returns with the camera, but I can try to explain further if needed.

Thanks.

-ben

Pete Bradley
06-05-2008, 11:24 PM
As far as I can guess, my key is probably in the cast iron well that contains the axle.

I doubt it. Typically the keyway is stopped (doesn't go through the bearing) and even if it isn't, the key couldn't get pushed past the bearing

I'm betting your key is on the floor or at the bottom of the casting (reachable) or behind the wheel somewhere.

It's easy to go overboard on tuning. Unless there's something seriously out of whack, there's no need to pull the wheels.

Pete

Ken Fitzgerald
06-05-2008, 11:47 PM
As Pete pointed out, it's doubtful it got beyond the bearing. Get a bright light and one of those pen shaped magnets and go look for it. I've not seen shaft where the key could get even to the bearing. Of course, there's a first time for everything.

Ben Fleis
06-06-2008, 9:05 AM
As Pete pointed out, it's doubtful it got beyond the bearing. Get a bright light and one of those pen shaped magnets and go look for it. I've not seen shaft where the key could get even to the bearing. Of course, there's a first time for everything.

I too thought that the the key should never be able to slide past the bearing, but I did get out my light and magnet last night (before posting, even), and couldn't see or snag it. I also ran a magnet all around the floor to find see if it was laying around, but no luck.

At this point I'd be happy to simply have a key and assume that the old one is resting in piece someplace without interfering... but if popping the bearing isn't hard (i have no clue), then I'd be happy to try. My guess though is that doing so risks misaligning things. Thanks again.

-b

Pete Bradley
06-06-2008, 9:33 AM
It's not a matter of "popping the bearing". I'm not sure if this saw has bearings pressed from one side or two, but either arrangement would require you to pull the shaft. If you're talking about belt pucks and axle wells, I respectfully suggest you're as deep into that assembly as you should go.

As before, take the wheel off and take a good look. I think you're going to see there's no way the key could have gotten past the bearing.

You should be able to buy a replacement key at the hardware store. Put the thing back together, make sure it turns free, and you can get back to woodworking.

Pete

Ray Phillips
06-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Just a thought. Make sure it hasn't stuck in the key way of the wheel itself.

Pat Germain
06-06-2008, 2:31 PM
If you have a mower dealer of some kind near your house, they'd likely have a replacement key. A John Deer dealer would also have them, but maybe not metric. Trouble is, you'd have to know what size. Since they're cheap, you could buy several of them and go with the one that fits.

I'm pretty sure NAPA also carries such keys. It's worth checking.

David Freed
06-06-2008, 5:40 PM
If you have a mower dealer of some kind near your house, they'd likely have a replacement key. A John Deer dealer would also have them, but maybe not metric. Trouble is, you'd have to know what size. Since they're cheap, you could buy several of them and go with the one that fits.

I'm pretty sure NAPA also carries such keys. It's worth checking.

My NAPA store (and other stores) has keystock in 3 foot lengths. I usually buy a whole stick and just cut my own. It's very cheap that way and if you buy a few different sizes you don't have to go to the store when you need to replace one.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-06-2008, 5:42 PM
My local Ace Hardware has keys and key material in stock.

Ben Fleis
06-06-2008, 10:33 PM
luckily the auto parts place is down the road. I found parts listing, which seems to have the dimensions, so I should be able to do this. I've rescanned everything and still can't find the key on the ground (more time with the magnet too)... Thanks.

-b